Author Topic: Census 1891 Salisbury area lookup please  (Read 2093 times)

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
COMPLETED - Census 1891 Salisbury area lookup please
« Reply #9 on: Friday 07 October 16 16:20 BST (UK) »
Some years ago (when I still had my Anxioustree subscription) I spent many a frustrating hour going through the 1891 and 1901 censuses for Johanna James in Cornwall.  I tried Johanna, Joan, Jenny, Hannah, Anna and every spelling variant I could think of without success.  I ruled out everyone I could find whose age was within 10 years of Johanna's age.  It took ages, and increased the amount of grey in my hair!  Then a cousin found a reference to an asylum near Salisbury and the search revived.  I bought a copy of the hospital record, my cousin bought a copy of the death certificate and we were back on track in Wiltshire.

The last unanswered question was: where was Johanna living between the periods when she was committed to Fisherton House asylum.  Now I believe the answer has been found.  It is most likely that Johanna remained in the asylum as a voluntary patient in a unit for which records have not survived.  I believe that Tony's find on the 1891 census is Johanna - the similarities are too great to ignore.

It occurs to me that my next step would be to hunt for financial records or the family solicitor's file if anything survives.

This thread has been very successful - my thanks to groom and Russkie for your interest and questions which helped clarify where I had previously searched and why I said Johanna could be in Wiltshire in 1891.  My thanks to redtonyt for finding the census information - Tony you are a star!

Yet again - proof that Rootschat is a great site and Rootschatters are wonderful people!
Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Census 1891 Salisbury area lookup please
« Reply #10 on: Friday 07 October 16 17:28 BST (UK) »
A very satisfactory conclusion. Do the records tell you why she was admitted to the asylum so far from  home, or is that another mystery?

when I still had my Anxioustree subscription)

Love that!
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Re: Census 1891 Salisbury area lookup please
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 08 October 16 00:47 BST (UK) »
Do the records tell you why she was admitted to the asylum so far from  home, or is that another mystery?

I don't know exactly, but as the family solicitor was also clerk to the Redruth Board of Guardians I imagine he knew someone who knew someone.  Also, the family probably wanted Johanna to be sent well away from home (as tended to happen until well into the 20th century).
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk