Author Topic: Who to use for the best results  (Read 3335 times)

Offline Yonks Ago

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Who to use for the best results
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 16 October 16 11:57 BST (UK) »
DavidG02,

If you went with FTDNA..and of course where in the world you are [ I'm in Australia ] mine took about 6 weeks..and the same for the results put up in my FTDNA log in site. Just sent for more for my children to do..so I'm more than happy with the FTDNA..
About to put our results over to Gedmatch..next week.

All the best

Yonks
Kilgallon Langdon Nicol Bolger Smith Carlisle Thomas Delahide Blackman Harley Amphlett Scarbourgh Murrish Oats Tonkin Aveyard Armitage Child Fox Bland Gomersal Mountain Gelder Harrison Armstrong Laws Steel Main Lambert Law Laws Christie Kirk Bell Black Amphlett Barclay Harley Dewar Rodger Fortune McCann Nealis Sutherland Rumgay

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 16 October 16 12:03 BST (UK) »
DavidG02,

If you went with FTDNA..and of course where in the world you are [ I'm in Australia ] mine took about 6 weeks..and the same for the results put up in my FTDNA log in site. Just sent for more for my children to do..so I'm more than happy with the FTDNA..
About to put our results over to Gedmatch..next week.

All the best

Yonks
Thank you. Yes Australia as well. So 6 weeks to receive the kit? And then 6 weeks to get results?
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline Yonks Ago

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 16 October 16 12:49 BST (UK) »
DavidG02,

It may even take longer..depending I guess on how many are sending for the kits, as you know you did 2 swabs my husbands first swab didn't work, they let us know and said they were working on the second one, if that failed they would send another kit.

Yonks
Kilgallon Langdon Nicol Bolger Smith Carlisle Thomas Delahide Blackman Harley Amphlett Scarbourgh Murrish Oats Tonkin Aveyard Armitage Child Fox Bland Gomersal Mountain Gelder Harrison Armstrong Laws Steel Main Lambert Law Laws Christie Kirk Bell Black Amphlett Barclay Harley Dewar Rodger Fortune McCann Nealis Sutherland Rumgay

Offline SloopJB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 24 October 16 23:30 BST (UK) »
Do you have to pay to send the test back?

I assume you get the results on line and I know there are other sites you can post the result to once you have them so a wider audience can see if they have a match.

Does the price vary from one country to another?
Or is it just the exchange rate on the dollar that varies?

Offline SloopJB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 24 October 16 23:42 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have experience of the Find my past offer with Family tree DNA?

I think you have to pay £10 a month for a twelve month membership to qualify?

Offline SloopJB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 24 October 16 23:45 BST (UK) »
The society for one name studies also have a discounted rate for DNA tests.

The only trouble is you have to be a member in the first place to find out what latest prices are.

Does anyone on here know the latest prices?

Bit chicken and egg, could be a good deal if you might want to join but you don't know until you join.

Offline Yonks Ago

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 25 October 16 00:25 BST (UK) »
Yes you do have to pay to ship tests back...and no you don't have to pay subs at all to FTDNA
I have not ever paid subs to FTDNA
https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/ftdna/ordering/

cheers
Yonks

Offline Kimbrey

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 25 October 16 10:58 BST (UK) »
Yes,you do have to pay to return the test - I also paid extra for "tracking"

The prices for the tests are set by FTDNA and include shipping out but the price we actually pay is influenced by the exchange rate {not good for us in the UK at present :( }

Your results are posted on FTDNA under your account details and you will get a seperate e-mail telling you they are ready

Once you have an account {by ordering a test} you can log in to FTDNA and take part in the Forums/ask questions etc at no additional cost

Kim

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 25 October 16 23:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you. Yes Australia as well. So 6 weeks to receive the kit? And then 6 weeks to get results?

I'm across the ditch from you.  One kit I ordered was in my letterbox less than a week from when I ordered it.  Another took longer - it arrived in the country on Christmas Eve and sat at a sorting centre over Christmas before being sent down country.  But you'd expect delays in December.

I've never paid to track them back.  They've usually taken less than two weeks, but one took over three and I was getting nervous about that one.

The fastest result from the time of batching for Family Finder that I've had is 22 days but they're usually a month or so.