Author Topic: Frameworks cafe, Blyth - house history  (Read 6592 times)

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
Re: Frameworks cafe, Blyth - house history
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 11 October 16 22:28 BST (UK) »
It came out a couple of months ago - produced by Blyth Town Council in conjunction with Blyth Local History Society.

Opened out twice more to its A2 size there's a lot more information.

Christine

Offline AlisdairGB

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 12 October 16 08:45 BST (UK) »
Well blow me down with a feather. Blyth has a conservation area, but only after they demolished some wonderful old buildings like the Thomas Knight Memorial Hospital, the Central Methodist Chapel, the Royal Theatre, the Central Hall. I really didn't think anybody cared!

P

Blyth has three conservation areas, close but not connected. Details are on the Northumberland County Council website

Northumberland County Council have overall "control" ( or lack of) , but Blyth Town Council have been trying to get them linked into a single one.

Most of the buildings you mention were demolished before the CAs were instituted, but the slow crawl of progress was one of the reasons that they were started and to avoid the wholesale destruction of the town's heritage.

A conservation area doesn't stop progress, but means that any developer has to take into account the "character" of an area. Otherwise we'd still be using outdoor privvies.

BTC also prepared a "Buildings of Historic Interest" list, ( one step below listing) that the planners ( at NCC) have to take take into account before allowing changes to those buildings. At least two other leaflets are in preparation, by the way

And finally, a reminder that BTC are looking for nominations for "Blue Plaques" in Blyth, to recognise historic buildings and / or residents. I put details on the Blyth Buildings thread.
Daniel: Scarborough
Malyon: Essex, London
Bell: Northumberland
Gibbs: Northumberland, Co Durham, North Yorks
Appleyard: Bridlington, Scarborough
Barton: Nottingham, Sheffield
Bunn, Sanderson, Gray, Hindmarsh, Tron , Tait and others - wife's family , Durham and Northumberland

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Jane ANDERSON nee DODD, 2 x g grandmother.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 12 October 16 09:12 BST (UK) »
Yes, Christine, it does unfold to A2 but too big for me to photograph:-)

After looking at it, I started this thread.....

Gen in NBL England
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,
Sheffield: TURNER
Middlesex: RYDER
<br />Aberdeenshire: EDWARDS, BRODIE<br />Angus STEWART, DIXON, PETRIE

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 12 October 16 21:04 BST (UK) »

In August 1959 , aged 17 yrs, I started work as a "boy Clerk" for the Northern Gas Board.
 I was situated in the offices on the first floor looking out to the Harbour Commission building opposite.
The ground floor was for the gasfitters who installed and repaired domestic gas appliances.

My first task of every day was to collect the daily mail open and sort and distribute it.
The featured building in this topic in my day was the gas appliances show room.

The main offices ( including chief accountant and deputy) were in building on corner of
Plessey Rd and Bridge St.

I put up pay packets for manual workers and handed them over when they came knocking
on my little hatch. I also paid out the workers over at the gasworks.

Some fond memories, but not a lot !

Michael ( now emigrated to Scotland- for non-political reasons

Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
-------------------------------------------------------------------
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline Frosty142

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Davidson Family Photo
« Reply #31 on: Monday 25 September 17 00:56 BST (UK) »
Hello, I live in Canada. My mother was a Ferrell from Blyth and the Davidson were cousins.

Belle married Norman Hester, lived in London and was first violin in the London Philharmonic under Malcolm Sargeant, conductor. She and her husband who played the double bass both played in the Proms and elsewhere.

Bell's sister died young.

After Bell's death, Norman moved to Seaton Sluice and passed away there.

I have a photo of Belle taken during her career on the wall and many other photos of the family. Her father did have a music store in Blyth. I have a photo in which it can be seen.

My sister and I may be the only connection left as Belle had no children and her sister died prior to marriage.

Les