Author Topic: Alexander Wood  (Read 1395 times)

Offline Margruss

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alexander Wood
« on: Friday 07 October 16 22:21 BST (UK) »
I believe that my great great grandfather Alexander Wood was the son of George and Agnes Wood. The 1851, 1861,1871 and 1881 census state his birthplace as Langton, Berwickshire. I have found a birth transcript and birth entry for him but these give his birth as 1819 and the census documents give his age as being related to being born in 1817-1818. I can only find one Alexander Wood born in Langton around that time.
Alexander was married to Helen Thomson in 1847 and I have all subsequent information since then.
Does anyone have information on the Wood family?
Many thanks
Margaret

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Wood
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 October 16 22:55 BST (UK) »
You say you "believe" he was the son of George & Agnes.   Did he die in Scotland?  If so - do you have his death cert confirming his parentage as it will also give his mothers maiden name

Ages on census entries are not always reliable.   The Family Search entry shows him born 29 October 1819 and christened 15 January 1820 in Langton
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Margruss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 October 16 23:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply. He did die in Scotland but I have never been able to find a death entry for him.  He was in the 1881 census so it was after that. I have a birth from Scotlands people but the mother is given as Agnes Wood so have no idea what her maiden name was.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 08 October 16 00:29 BST (UK) »
Helen is living alone in 1891 so he must have died between censuses.  Have you already discounted the 1881 death in Coldstream for Alexander Wood aged 64 given he is shown as 63 on the 1881 census? SP ref is 733/33. 
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Margruss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 08 October 16 00:43 BST (UK) »
yes i have discounted that one as it says he was married to a Margaret Pullie? Lillie? cant quite read the surname
Thanks again