Author Topic: John and Sarah WALTON - Pennsylvania  (Read 1258 times)

Offline RipleyAnne

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John and Sarah WALTON - Pennsylvania
« on: Sunday 09 October 16 01:03 BST (UK) »
I am trying to locate any information on John WALTON who was born in the early 1800s in Pennyslvania - possibly sometime between 1805 - 1809.

His father was Nicholas WALTON but I have no name for his mother. I do know that he had a brother, Nicholas S WALTON (b.1805 – d. 1861, Frankford, Pennsylvania)

On 17th April 1828, John WALTON married Sarah C SCHOCH at St John’s Lutheran Church.  On the same day, in the same church, Nicholas S WALTON married Charlotte S STRATTON.

Whilst I have been able to find some information on Nicholas S and his wife, Charlotte, and subsequent family, I haven’t been able to locate anything further on John or Sarah.

I do know that they had at least one child – my 2x great-grandfather, Isaac Schoch WALTON in approx 1829. Isaac arrived here in Australia in 1849 where he lived for the rest of his life.

The WALTON family was a large, well researched one with many branches in Pennsylvania.  They are collectively known as the Byberry Waltons. My line, however, seems to have somehow slipped under the radar.

I am hoping someone may be able to help me – especially with finding information on John and Sarah (SCHOCH).

Thank-you

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: John and Sarah WALTON - Pennsylvania
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 October 16 19:44 BST (UK) »
There is at least one tree on one of the pay sites that states:
Jacob Schoch (1761, Pennsylvania/1834, Northampton, PA) was married to Anna Margaret Schmell (1771, Haycock, Bucks, PA/1849, Pennsylvania).  Their daughter was
Sarah Catherine Schoch (10-Apr-1806/11-Feb-1895)
Sarah was possibly born in Berkshire Heights, Berks, Pennsylvania

They state that Sarah Catherine married John Walton.
Also, John Walton died around 1868, Pennsylvania.

However, FindAGrave has listed burials for Schoch family members and the memorial states that Sarah was the wife of Henry Smith Sr. and one child was Aaron Smith (born 1838).
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=55220004

???
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 October 16 19:54 BST (UK) »
I found a death certificate on one of the pay sites:
Aaron Smith, born 23-Feb-1838 Smithfield, PA, died 23-May-1907, Smithfield, PA.
Parents:  Henry Smith, born Smithfield, PA; Sarah Schoch, Mh? Bethel, PA

Could Sarah have been "your" Sarah?
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 October 16 20:10 BST (UK) »
On the pay site (Anc*), is a church record, but looking at the image, I don't see the name. However, the description is typed:
Sarah Schoch, event date 18-Apr-1840, Upper Mount Bethel, Northampton, PA.  Christ Evangelical Lutheran Church.  Regarding "Communicantants"

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 October 16 20:14 BST (UK) »
Your Sarah, or another one?
Parents: Philip Schoch and Maria Schoch
Child: Sarah, born March 22, 1808, baptized April 18, 1808
Sponsors: Johannes Miller and Elisabeth Miller
Christ Lutheran Church, Upper Mount Bethel, Northampton, PA

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 23 October 16 20:28 BST (UK) »
I found another death certificate:
Henry Smith, born 26-Aug-1836, died 10-Aug-1906.
Parents: Henry Smith, born PA.  Mother Sallie Schoch, born PA

Henry (Jr.) was a mason and was buried in Washburn St? Cem.  Possibly died in Scranton, PA

1880 Smithfield Census
Aaron Smith and family, including
Sally Smith, mother, age 74, Single, Keeps House.

Still cannot find a marriage between Sarah Schoch Walton and Henry Smith.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 23 October 16 20:43 BST (UK) »
Do you know in which town/city John and Sarah were married, please?  Is there any chance that they didn't marry?

Could there have been two Sarah Schoch's born around the same time, in Pennsylvania?

1850 Smithfield, Monroe Co., PA Census
Henry Smith, age 51, Farmer, born PA
Sarah Smith, age 44, born PA
and their children: John J, Samuel, Mary, Levi, Henry (age 14), Aron (age 12), Anna Margret, Ruben, Elizabeth, Sarah and Charles.
Oldest child was 20, youngest was 1.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 23 October 16 21:56 BST (UK) »
I don't think this was mentioned previously...According to one online tree:
John Walton married Sarah Catherine Schoch; their children
Isaac Schoch Walton (1829-1909)
Nicholas Walton - born c1832, Philadelphia, PA
  No additional information provided.

Offline RipleyAnne

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 24 October 16 01:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Lisa,

Firstly, thanks for your help.

I have seen all those online references and trees but I am not able, in any way, link to be sure that this is Sarah I am looking for. I am not saying it isn't her but have nothing to say that it is - and as these names and events etc are not cited, I won't add them to my tree.

All I really know is that John and Sarah were married on 17th April 1828 in the Lutheran church. Her surname is written as Shoch. Her son (my 2x great grandfather) was Isaac Schochand born in approx 1829.

This is something that I have been trying to work out for a long time. I regularly go back to it...in the hope that i may find a death certificate for either John or Sarah - and that it may take me further.

Once again, thanks.  :)