Author Topic: Garden City ( ? ) Blyth  (Read 3904 times)

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
Re: Garden City ( ? ) Blyth
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 22 October 16 20:09 BST (UK) »
I suspect that's the most likely explanation.  Maps showing the avenues before the school was built have several roads leading into that area but going nowhere.  I've assumed that these roads, if completed, would have been the missing avenues.  I just wondered whether they were elsewhere and I'd missed them  :)

Offline TriciaK

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 23 October 16 10:50 BST (UK) »
It sounds as if the Avenues project was part of the Garden City movement, started by  Sir Ebenezer Howard  in the 1890s.
 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garden_city_movement
We lived in Hull for many years and they have a Garden Village, mostly funded by James Reckitt, as housing for his workers. It's still there and looking good - brother in law lives there.
They used to really care for the welfare of the working classes in those days  - compared with now  :(
Knott - Northumberland; Yorkshire (?Bridlington.)
Fenwick, Johnston - Northumberland.
Dixon; Hutchinson - York.
Shaw - ? Glasgow

Offline dolly dimples

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 23 October 16 17:15 BST (UK) »
HI all my family moved into 87 19th avenue when. I was born in 1936 .and New lands school was built about 1951 ,19th ave was changed to 8th ave but can't remember exactly when . Dolly .
Northumberland. Main.Hertfordshire.Brash.Dryden
East Lothian.Brash. Dryden. Cumberland.Henderson.Joyce.
Plymouth.Charlick. Canada.Boulds.

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 23 October 16 22:35 BST (UK) »
Good one, Dolly!  That's 24th and 19th identified - anyone with thoughts on 16th and 17th?

Offline Rick Harrison

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 02 March 20 16:50 GMT (UK) »
A little late to reply to this. I think the answer to the missing avenues was the depression, council ran out of money. My parents lived in the avenues from about 1934-5 and I left in 1954. There were stub roads at the top of 6th and the back of 12th on Newlands road which would presumably have led to the missing avenues. Newlands bungalows were privately built, my uncle  was living there in 1936.

Offline Tuckernz

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 31 August 22 08:42 BST (UK) »
Hi.
I lived at No1, Nineteenth Avenue as a child in 1950. It was my grandparents house. It was on the corner in the middle of 26th Avenue and was the only odd numbered house. There were two even numbered houses opposite and the sort road lead to the prefabs which backed on to the Newlands school field. Then we later moved into 29 Twentfifth Avenue which was the last house on the left next to the school field. I lived there until about 1968. This was before the bungalows in the middle of the street were built. I think they may have stopped building when WWII broke out and built prefabs instead and then later the school.