Author Topic: Thomas Chalmers & Margaret Smith  (Read 4874 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Chalmers & Margaret Smith
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 11 December 16 13:27 GMT (UK) »
I can't imagine why someone from Caithness living in West Lothian would have been in the asylum in Montrose, but it's not impossible.

Did he die after census day in 1871 (2 April)? If so, might the 1871 census contain some useful snippet?

I did some work on Sutherlands from Caithness who moved to West Lothian for a cousin (on her mother's side) who was a descendant (on her father's side) of Donald Tulloch Sutherland, born 21 November 1835 at Clysterfield, Thurso and died 9 January 1898 in Bathgate. His brother Robert (born 1842 in Thurso) also moved from there to Bathgate but I have nothing on Robert after the 1861 census. Their tree includes 53 Sutherlands born in Latheron, but not, so far, your Robert.

I wonder what impelled Sutherlands from Caithness to move to Bathgate?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline bmatthews7838

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 11 December 16 13:36 GMT (UK) »
Robert Sutherland, a cooper died 19 June 1871 at the age of 35.  He was married and from Latheron.
He was born in Latheron 15 Mar 1835 to James Sutherland and Mary McKay.  Note on his marriage to Margaret Chalmers that states he was a cooper.  Even though it does not give a wife or parents we can pretty well figure this is him.

Offline bmatthews7838

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 11 December 16 13:37 GMT (UK) »
I will check the 1871 census for him.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 11 December 16 13:45 GMT (UK) »
He was born in Latheron 15 Mar 1835 to James Sutherland and Mary McKay.
Where did 15 March come from? SP has him baptised on 23 August 1835. FS has the same, plus birth 10 August 1835?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline moo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 11 December 16 13:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone

Downloaded the certificate, it does not give any details about wife or parents. In the 1871 census he is shown as in an asylum, so I am thinking that this is indeed him.

Just need to find Margaret in the 1871 census, their daughter is living with grandparents in Bathgate.
Thank you everyone  ;D

Regards
Moo

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 11 December 16 13:51 GMT (UK) »
Downloaded the certificate, it does not give any details about wife or parents. In the 1871 census he is shown as in an asylum, so I am thinking that this is indeed him.
Looks very likely.

The archives of the Montrose asylum (Sunnyside Royal Hospital) are in the University of Dundee Archives http://www.dundee.ac.uk/archives/

Offline moo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 11 December 16 14:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Forfarian,

The cause of death was General Paralysis -3 years, so could it be possible that he was in an accident or taken ill in that area, so the family left him there. From the census, Montrose Royal Lunatic Asylum it appears all the inmates were male, not sure if that is normal.
Also downloaded his birth details - born 10th August baptised 23rd August 1835.

Regards
Moo

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 11 December 16 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Hmmmm.

I looked into James Sutherland and Mary Ann Mackay, just in case I could connect them to my late cousin's tree. (I can't, at least not so far). James was the son of Alexander Sutherland and Marjory Reid.

I could not find the family in 1841. In 1851 there was a 16-year-old son Alexander, but no Robert. In 1861 there was a 9-year-old son enumerated without a given name, and in 1871 there was a 19-year-old son named Robert. 

There appear to be two James Sutherlands married to Mary Mackays. James Sutherland married Mary Ann Mackay on 6 January 1831, and James Sutherland married Mary Mackay on 21 February 1833, both in Latheron.

The one in the census is listed as Mary Ann in 1861 and Maryan in 1871, so it looks rather as if your Robert could be the son of the other couple.

Offline moo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 11 December 16 15:49 GMT (UK) »
What do we reckon.....

1851 Census
Robert aged 16, West Helmsdale, Sutherland, Parents - James & Mary, siblings Margaret aged 17, John aged 14, Jean aged 10, Christy aged 7 and Charles aged 2.

Regards
Moo