Author Topic: David James Daniel (1886 - 1960)  (Read 1164 times)

Offline grahamd945

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
David James Daniel (1886 - 1960)
« on: Monday 10 October 16 16:25 BST (UK) »
Hi I am trying to search for details of my paternal Grandfather who lived in Penlan Ucha, Llanfihangel y Croyddyn, Aberystrwyth, according to the 1911 census.  I cannot find any WW1 military records for him, but there is a news item in The Cambrian News and Merionethshire Standard dated 3 Aug 1917;
"LLANFIHANGEL-Y- CRETJDDYN. Driver Wm. Davies, Cynon Fawr, and Driver David Daniel, Penlan, came home on Thursday on short leave. They have already spent over two years in France, this being their first leave, and have so far escaped without a single scratch. They are looking well and happy."  I can't believe there was another Daniel family at Penlan, though it is possible, anyone any suggestions.  Thanks

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: David James Daniel (1886 - 1960)
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 October 16 16:50 BST (UK) »
Hi bear in mind a very large percentage of the WW1 Military records were destroyed,  is it just his military recorda you require, or his parents/siblings etc?

One in Tanyraut, Llanfihangel Y Croddyn in 1891 aged 5 parents John/Catherine plus siblings
Census ref RG12/4561/58/2
Keyboard86

EDIT Oops welcome to Rootschat!
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline grahamd945

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: David James Daniel (1886 - 1960)
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 October 16 17:16 BST (UK) »
Very many thanks. Yes that's the correct family, and its just as I suspected his might be one of the 2m "Burnt" records.  I see from the WW 1 Medals list there are six David J Daniel's but I can't find a service record for any of them.
Very many thanks, May we'll post query regarding my wife's family who spent a lot of time in the Basingstoke Union Workhouse!!