Author Topic: Alice Antoinette Eugenie CHRISTINE De la Motte Shaw of British Honduras  (Read 1569 times)

Offline LouiseB31

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Alice Antoinette Eugenie CHRISTINE De la Motte Shaw of British Honduras
« on: Monday 10 October 16 17:11 BST (UK) »
Good afternoon

I am enquiring on behalf of my step-mother who would like to trace the family of her great grandparent and we are struggling a little bit at the moment.

Here is what we know so far....

In 1888 when my step-mother's grandmother was born on her paternal grandfather's farm in Banff, Scotland, her birth certificate gave her mother's name as Christine Allan nee Shaw who married her husband Alexander Allan in St Vincent in the West Indies on November 8th 1883. He was a Government Treasury official born on said farm but working overseas.

In 1891 on the census she is born circa 1860 in Belize, British Honduras (a British subject) - and this information was consistent in 1901 and 1911.

In 1911, a second daughter was married in Banff, Scotland. On her marriage certificate it gives her mother's name as Alice Antionette Eugenie Christine De La Motte Allan, maiden name Shaw.

Christine was still alive and would surely have been there in person so I tend to think this order of names more likely to be correct.

She died in November 1936 in Glasgow, Scotland.

On her death certificate her name is given as

Christine Eugenie Alice Delores De La Mott Shaw aged 77 years.

The informant was one of her sons. He didn't know her parents' names so that was left as (blank) Shaw in both cases.

You will see this set of forenames is slightly different to the last - but then she wasn't there to ask.

I don't know where to go from here really. I don't know how to get a copy of a marriage certificate from St Vincent, or a birth certificate from Belize. I have played around with Google and not got very far.

I thought this excellent forum was probably the place to come for help.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions on first steps.

PS I know plenty about husband Alexander Allan and his ancestors. This enquiry is about Christine.
Baldock, Millward, Harriman, Wilson, Hilton, Fairclough, Hadley, Bedford, Brady, Butler, Watchorn, Marshall, Jutson, Pinfold, Masters, Mottram, Upton, Daffern, Shellswell, Skelding, Wall, Taylor, Scattergood, Ferguson, Innous, Mulley, Hyams

Offline rodda

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alice Antoinette Eugenie CHRISTINE De la Motte Shaw of British Honduras
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 August 18 21:01 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Have just found your post regarding Christine De la Motte. Unfortunately I cannot add anything more than you know.
I am presuming your step mothers grandmother was Millicent. My contact was the other daughter Constance who's daughter Muriel was in close contact with my family (my fathers grandfather was one of  Alexanders brothers).

I have NO information about Millicent or any other siblings although I might have a photograph of her.

Can you offer any information?

Kind regards,

Anne

Offline LouiseB31

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 August 18 10:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne
Yes Robin's granny was Millicent.
As you are a cousin of Robin's through her Allen family she will very much want to be in touch with you in any case, whether you can help with the Shaw mystery or not. She went up to Fordyce in the summer and met some other Allens. Please will you message me so that I can share her email address with you. She will be thrilled.
Hopefully we will sort out the Shaw mystery eventually, this thread may pull others in
Thank you
Best wishes, Louise
Baldock, Millward, Harriman, Wilson, Hilton, Fairclough, Hadley, Bedford, Brady, Butler, Watchorn, Marshall, Jutson, Pinfold, Masters, Mottram, Upton, Daffern, Shellswell, Skelding, Wall, Taylor, Scattergood, Ferguson, Innous, Mulley, Hyams

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 August 18 02:12 BST (UK) »
Louise, in your original post you say
'In 1888 when my step mother's grandmother was born' then in the next para you say 'on the 1891 census she is born circa 1860' ??? ??? ???

Have you searched British born overseas at the GRO?

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline rodda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 January 20 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Louise,

I would be happy for Robin to contact me...Just not sure the best way?

Facebook?

Or this...

Anne

Offline trailsnail

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 29 December 20 19:41 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I haven't been on the site for a long while. Still wanting to get in touch re. Millie Allan, Banffshire.

Anne