Author Topic: Peter Simpson and Jane Christie - chapelford, Enzie  (Read 1373 times)

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Peter Simpson and Jane Christie - chapelford, Enzie
« on: Monday 10 October 16 22:40 BST (UK) »
On Libindx there is an entry for Peter and Jane Christie,  grave reference Ch173.

Does anyone have the MI book and are happy to give me the reading.  I have several MI books but not that one.

I am hoping to find something on the stone  that will prove that they are the parents of Robert Simpson born 16th September 1834.  Robert emigrated to Canada and opened the large Simpson store.  He married Mary Ann Botsford.

There are entries on the computer that indicates that Robert worked in his fathers store in the Inverness area. There are also entries which indicate his parents lived in the Elgin area. I think they were from the Elgin area.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Betty

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Peter Simpson and Jane Christie - chapelford, Enzie
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 October 16 23:42 BST (UK) »
I think you may be mistaken; I am not convinced that the Robert Simpson you describe is the one born in 1834.

Go back to LIBINDX, and in the People Search just put Ch173 in the 'Headstone reference' box, and search. This will give you six results, not including a Jane Christie or Simpson. Have a careful look at them, because I don't see any reference there to Inverness or Elgin or shops. They seem mostly to have been farmers in the Enzie. I presume that you know by now that Chapelford is a Roman Catholic burial ground.

Robert Simpson, son of Peter Simpson and Jane Christie, was baptised in Speymouth in 1834. His siblings were apparently Peter, 1836; James, 1839; Ann, 1841; Andrew, 1843; Margaret, 1844; Hellen, 1846; Alexander, 1850; John, 1852; In 1841 the family were at Drumbain in Rothes. 1851 the family were in Speymouth, but Robert was probably in service in Elgin as an agricultural labourer. In 1861 the family were in Garmouth, not including Robert. In 1881 they were indeed at Newtonbrae, Enzie. Peter seems to have been a farm labourer or carter in every census, not a shop proprietor.

All this except the 1881 census is from free online sources, i.e. LIBINDX, FreeCEN and the IGI. You should be able to replicate these searches. Peter Simpson died at Newtonbrae, Enzie in 1895, and Jane Christie or Simpson died there in 1882.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 October 16 08:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply.  Very much appreciated.

I think you have confirmed to me that the Peter and Jane buried in Enzie are not the parents of the Robert who died in Canada.  Same names according to the Internet!!  Although Jane Christie has Parmouth after the name Christie.  I had wondered if this was a misprint and should read Garmouth.

Also the information of Robert working in his father's store would not fit.

I need to gather the information that is on the internet and prove that it is correct.

I may be on a wildgoose chase!!  The family story goes that we are related to the Simpson family who opened the store in Canada.  A long ways to go!!

Thanks again
Betty

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 October 16 11:31 BST (UK) »
Same names according to the Internet!!
Never trust anything you find on the internet unless it's an image of an original document - and even they can have errors in them.

It could be that someone researching the Canadian Robert Simpson has found this one whose age seems to fit and just assumed he is the right one.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 11 October 16 14:21 BST (UK) »
I agree that one should not rely on the internet. 

Thanks
Betty