Author Topic: East Cliff hotel 1940's  (Read 469 times)

Offline finglaspete

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
East Cliff hotel 1940's
« on: Monday 10 October 16 23:18 BST (UK) »
I was always told that my Grandmother was a chef that worked in the East Cliff hotel in Bournemouth (or nearby) from the late thirties to the late forties.
Would anyone with good local or local historical knowledge be able to answer a couple of questions about this place. 1) does the hotel that was once called this name still exist, if not in name but as a building?   2) If it does and is still a hotel what is it's present name?
I have had to take a sudden move on my Grandmothers past, so would appreciate any suggestions however small
Thank you in advance.
All the best
Pete
curran, carlow, dublin.
 doyle, carlow.
 gaul, carlow
cooke, kilkenny
kelter, kilkenny
mills, kildare and queens
jones, Caernarvonshire
brophy, carlow and dublin
o'rorke galway and carlow and laois
taylor, london
kelly, dublin and cavan

Offline locksmith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: East Cliff hotel 1940's
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 October 16 08:33 BST (UK) »
Pete,

The current Royal Bath Hotel in Bath road near Bournemouth pier was once known as The Royal Bath and East Cliff Hotel. I guess this would be what you are looking for.

Added. If you do an image search on google for "Royal bath and east cliff hotel" bournemouth, up comes a picture from an earlier era.

Simon

Offline finglaspete

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 October 16 14:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Locksmith,
Thanks for that info, it is really appreciated, there is an East Cliff hotel in Bournemouth now, but it just looked a bit modern for something that old, you know what I mean, the place you have pointed me towards is much more what I was expecting to see, many thanks Locksmith, your a diamond!
Just to add though, if anyone can give any info on this hotel in the thirties and fouries, it would be greatly appreciated too.
My Granny worked there as a chef, I was hoping that now I know the hotel, I was thinking of approaching them and seeing if they had some old pictures from that era, or even staff pictures. it is worth a chance for sure!
Pete
curran, carlow, dublin.
 doyle, carlow.
 gaul, carlow
cooke, kilkenny
kelter, kilkenny
jones, Caernarvonshire
taylor, london
kelly, dublin and cavan

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 October 16 14:06 BST (UK) »
Do you have your grandmother on the 1939 register as she may be living there and it would confirm the address
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline finglaspete

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 11 October 16 16:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosie
Good question, she is on the 1939 register but living in Windsor Road, Bournemouth, though seems to be living with a number of Hotel type people, maybe the house was owned by the hotel and rented out to the staff.
My mother always said that she worked as a chef in the East Cliff hotel, my mother always said it was a really grand hotel, though the current 'East Cliff hotel' didn't look so old and grand, but the one that is now called the Royal Bath Hotel, seems to fit that description a bit better.
Thank you for your reply Rosie.
Pete
curran, carlow, dublin.
 doyle, carlow.
 gaul, carlow
cooke, kilkenny
kelter, kilkenny
jones, Caernarvonshire
taylor, london