Author Topic: Archie Mitchell - Dance Hall Proprietor  (Read 457 times)

Offline OnTheRoad

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Archie Mitchell - Dance Hall Proprietor
« on: Tuesday 11 October 16 10:56 BST (UK) »
I am seeking information about my grandfather, Archibald Mitchell, who was born 28 Dec 1988 in Lopen, Somerset. Soon after his birth the family moved to Ystradyfodwg, Glamorgan, Wales. On 16 Nov 1911 he married Margaret Griffiths in Llwynpia, South Wales and in 1912 and 1913 they had two children, Aelwyn and Sadie. These children became juvenile stage performers and were known as the Magnet Twins from 1926 until 1929 (as far as I know). They then continued separate careers on the stage as Sadie Sylvester (or Sylvestre) and Irving Bellairs through the 1930s. I have found a lot of information in the newspaper archives on Findmypast and they travelled around the UK with various concert parties and performed in variety shows and pantomimes.

According to the 1911 census and his marriage certificate and the 1912 and 1913 birth certificates, Archie Mitchell was a haulier in a coal mine however by 1934 (when my Uncle Aelwyn married) he was a dance hall proprietor. I think the dance hall may have been in Tonypandy or Pontypridd but I have only anecdotal information from family members who have since passed away.

I would be grateful for any assistance in finding out where the dance hall was and any information about it. Did my grandfather own it or was he employed by someone? If he owned it, how had he managed to acquire  the necessary funding from being a coal miner? Also I am wondering if my mother and uncle performed there in the 1920s and 1930s.

I look forward to hearing from anyone who may be able to shed some light on this for me.
Thank you, Cherryl
Dublin:  O'Leary, Greer, Webb, Hood
Seavington, Somerset: Brake, Gibbs, Bargery, Lockyer, England, Phelps, Bishop
Lopen, Somerset: Mitchell
Glamorgan: Mitchell, Thomas
Monmouthshire: Watkins, Hood, Whitcombe
Pembrokeshire: Griffiths
Cardiganshire: Evans, Jones

Offline OnTheRoad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Archie Mitchell - Dance Hall Proprietor
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 October 16 13:38 BST (UK) »
Archie was born in 1888 and not 1988,

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 October 16 18:00 BST (UK) »
Hi

Have you looked for him on the 1939 register which will show his occupation and address

When and where did he die?  If he left a will - there may be some information in it

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline OnTheRoad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 October 16 01:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the suggestions CaroleW.
Archie died in March 1950 but I have not yet found any probate records for him. Will keep looking though. In 1939 he was living with his wife, brother, daughter (my Mum) and my 18 month old brother in Harrow. Archie was employed as a Board Mill Cutter but as it was wartime, the dance hall business may no longer have been viable. Just seems a curious mix of occupations!
Thanks again.
Cherryl