Author Topic: Sandford Prees Burial  (Read 616 times)

Offline SByrne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sandford Prees Burial
« on: Thursday 13 October 16 06:47 BST (UK) »
Hi There,

I'm currently searching for the Burial location of my GGGrandmother, Elizabeth Sutton nee Millington. I know she passed away aged 55 in Sandford Prees in October 1867 but I have no idea where she might buried or how to find out. Her husband survived her and was buried in Liverpool later on with his daughters family, so no clues there.

Perhaps the St Chad's Church in Prees? I wonder if anyone knows the area well, has access to parish records for Prees or could point me in the right direction. Id love to be able to find her.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Sandford Prees Burial
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 October 16 09:04 BST (UK) »
The corresponding reg number is Dec 1867 at WEM 6a477.

Wem includes Prem , and "Other places in the parish include: Darliston, Fauls, Faulsgreen, Willaston, Millenheath, Sandford, Steel, and Mickley."

Hugh Wallis suggests the only microfilming done was :
Prees
C035081     1597-1804           
C035082     1805-1868

which is only christenings.

I would contact Lichfield Diocese Office or Shropshire Archives.... and you may have to pay for a look up of the original register.

[other opinions sought here????]

Best I can offer.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 October 16 09:19 BST (UK) »
A lot of Shropshire Parish Registers are available on FindMyPast.
Might be worth looking there?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline SByrne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 October 16 03:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for helping out. Hm, I know the family has ties to Fauls, Willaston, Sandford and Prees, so really it could be one of them if there were burials happening in all of those areas.

I will be sure to reach out to Lichfield Diocese Office and see if they can shed some light on the matter. I quick search on FindMyPast doesn't seem to bring up anything for elizabeth Sutton in 1876.

Thanks again to you both

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 October 16 05:27 BST (UK) »
Sometimes, what I do is go to gooogle maps and say in this case type in cemeteries for each of the geographic places..... that way u have an idea of all cemeteries.....    then enter each cemetery name back in search but put words like burial index or burials database or use a word of genealogical inference....

findagrave is also a handy site.....     also contact local fh groups or libraries....  i am not sure of Shropshire coverage for newspapers but an obit may be found....   all depends on what has been archived or microfilmed but a local library should resolve that problem......    i find ringing some of the archives asking a prepared set of questions can lead to results....

i had a look at FindMyPast>>>   only Wem death for E M was 1827 which is way too offbeat;  and the closest was a 4 yr old at Tilstock in 66....        I am going to suggest investigation into crematoria as well in this case.... 

usually in Britain the local councils maintain graveyards and fee books etc so maybe seek out info that way?

its a pia at best of times as i well know having not found a few of mine in WIltshire. Good luck