Author Topic: 2nd Lt George Badenoch Murray (189527)  (Read 1935 times)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 2nd Lt George Badenoch Murray (189527)
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 13 October 16 20:35 BST (UK) »
Maybe his folks came from Badenoch (Upper Speyside)?

Skoosh.

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Aye mair questions than answers!
    • View Profile
Re: 2nd Lt George Badenoch Murray (189527) ***COMPLETED***
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 02 November 16 11:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone

My visit last month to Edinburgh proved well worthwhile when I was able to confirm that George was indeed the son of George Badenoch Murray (senior) and I got all the relevant records.  Even ScotlandsPeople had the middle name recorded with a "k" at the end  :o

Another success is notched up for RootsChat.

Thanks for all the help.

Regards

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Family surnames being researched ...
Crawford, Neilson, Lindsay, Reekie, Davidson
Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ADM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 17 February 18 20:10 GMT (UK) »
Found this quite by chance and wanted to let you know that George Badenoch Murray was my late uncle, Evelyn was my late grandmother who lived in Glasgow.

My grandfather (who I never met) was indeed awarded the DSO in WW1, for sinking a German submarine as I recall.

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 18 February 18 09:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi ADM

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

It's amazing what you can find by just entering a name.  You'll have gathered from my posts that I have a wee bit of information for your uncle and grandparents.  In fact I can go back to your great grandparents James Murray Mason and Eliza Badenoch from Banffshire and John Taylor and Helen Johnston from Newport, Fife and Falkirk, Stirlingshire respectively.

The family connection is through a (very) distant cousin who lives in Brisbane.  He and I share parallel trees dating back to to Lundie sisters who married Todd brothers at the beginning of the 19th Century.  We are each descended from these marriages!

Complicated?  Nothing's quite straightforward in genealogy  8)

I will send you  a personal message with my email so as to be able to send over the information that I have.

Regards

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Offline ADM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 18 February 18 10:49 GMT (UK) »
Well hello there!

I'm absolutely stunned by this, quite unexpected but a very pleasant surprise nonetheless.

I've sent you a quick email with some further details which may add to your knowledge, I hope it is of interest.

Best regards,

Andrew

Offline Drew5233

• RootsChat Veteran
  • How Many Hours in Spits?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 19 February 18 23:07 GMT (UK) »
If he died more than 26 years ago you do not need NOK approval, anyone can apply. If you are a relative sign the form as the NOK stating you are the nearest known living relative to him.

Don't get too hung up on NOK approval...Its just the MODs way of having an umbrella for the data protection act.

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 20 February 18 07:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Drew5233

I wasn't aware of that.  We live and learn  ;)

Chiad Fhear

Offline verrieres

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 19 April 18 23:15 BST (UK) »
This may save you some time;-

Served with the Durham Light Infantry he was granted an  Emergency Commission as 2/Lieutenant 31/5/1941, He was posted to the 2nd Bn DLI on the 21st June 1941 (`D` Company) until the 14th November 1941 when he joined 30th (Home) Battalion.He joined the 11th Bn DLI on the 10th February 1942 where he remained until posted to  No 4 I.T.C. at Brancepeth on 1st December 1942, Rejoining 11th  DLI on the 5th October 1943 as signals officer/platoon commander with Hq Company. Served in Normandy with the 11th Battalion where he was promoted to acting Captain in July 1944 and remained with them until they were disbanded 26th August 1944. On the 30th September 1944 he was attached to The York and Lancaster Regiment known as the ` Hallamshire`s`where his promotion to Temp/captain was confirmed in October 1944 he was also wounded 28th October 1944 . Unattached in 1946 . I`ve no information beyond that period

Hope this helps you

Best wishes

Jim

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 20 April 18 21:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Jim

Many thanks for the bio for 'young' George.  I've been out all day and just accessed my emails on return home.

I have more information for George including marriage in 1945, children born 1948, 1951 and 1953 and his death in 1989. If you are interested please send me a PM with your email.

Regards

Chiad Fhear