Author Topic: Being Jamie Baulch: The Search For My Birth Dad, 11 October, BBC One, 23:45 BST  (Read 1503 times)

Offline maryalex

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Did any one else see the BBC TV programme about Jamie Baulch's search for his biological father?  I did and ended up frustrated, to say the least.
Jamie was born in 1973. He had been given up at birth for adoption.  An earlier BBC TV programme, broadcast in about 2014, dealt with his reunion with his terminally ill biological mother. [His adoptive parents fully supported him in his search for his bilological parents.]
The facts reported to Jamie were that his father was a Jamaican, first name Leonard, surname redacted for the purpose of the TV programme, who, at the time of Jamie's conception, had been living in Nottingham when not serving in the British Army in Germany and who would have been aged about 62 when the programme was being made.
Jamie went to Nottingham and was interviewed about his quest on local radio. A member of some Nottingham Jamaican community group did point out that lots of the community, including herself, did not always know who their biological fathers were.
After feelers had been put out, Levi got in touch.  He had a brother Lenny from the right part of Nottingham who had been serving as a soldier in Germany and who could possibly be Jamie's father, although he had never mentioned any such possibility.  As reported by Levi, his brother Lenny did not want to accept any responsibility- said he would have been too young.
THE BIT THAT MAY BE RELEVANT TO DNA TESTING
Since Lenny did not want to know, Levi agreed to a DNA test.  From the brief glimpse of the document I could see on the TV, it looked as if an actual paternity test, with Levi posing as the possible father, had been done.  The result as shown on TV was something like "No common paternal ancestry" and Y chromosome was mentioned.  On receiving the result, Jamie Baulch concluded that he was not related to Levi or to Lenny.
So what! What if Levi and Lenny had different fathers but the same mother? 
Does anybody know if the BBC would have advised Jamie Baulch on the most appropriate DNA test to have done?  Without wanting to give Jamie Baulch any false hope, a FTDNA Family Finder test would give him some idea about about whether or not Levi is his half-uncle.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Being Jamie Baulch: The Search For My Birth Dad, 11 October, BBC One, 23:45 BST
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 October 16 15:50 BST (UK) »
I watched this on BBC iplayer. For anyone interested the bit about the results starts at 49 minutes and you get a glimpse of the letter at 50.20 minutes approximately.

I agree with Maryalex that the test done was a paternity test. The results state that Levi and Jamie are from two separate lineages with no paternity links in common, it also mentions the Y chromosome

This is supposition on my part. It would be very wrong of the BBC to just leave it there and I would have expected them to have followed up this test with a family finder type test. Of course it could have been that they did do this but did not include it in the programme as the programme was just about finding his dad. However it should have been made clear, but then again maybe it was not out of respect to Jamie biological mother who only died in September.

What was interesting was what then followed re the sprinter gene as there has been talk that the reason there are so many black athletes is that they have a special gene. The research scientists have established that there is indeed a sprint gene that has an "R" marker for a lot of sprinters but an "X" marker for other people. The tests showed that Jamie did indeed have an R marker from his father as indeed did 98% of the Jamaicans they tested but he also had an R marker from his biological mother as do 80% of Europeans. So the scientists conclusion was having the R marker, or two of them, was not what made you a sprinter but rather what you did with them i.e. lots of practice and training. So in the argument of nature versus nurture it seems in this instance nurture has a big role to play
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.