Author Topic: George Harry Dunn look up  (Read 9620 times)

Offline Benody1921

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: George Harry Dunn look up
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 27 November 16 21:12 GMT (UK) »
From what I've seen in thr census, Edwin and Betsy didn't have any other children. In 1881 they are living with Betsy's mother, Elizabeth Brooks née Pardoe. Then in 1891 Betsy is again living with her mother. I haven't been able to find Edwin in the 1891 census. Edwin enrolled George in the Crabb Street Infant School in 1891. Then I believe Edwin is mentioned again in the Directory as a galvanizer on Careless Green. In 1892, Elizabeth Pardoe dies and leaves Betsy a large sum of money. The will says Betsy Dunn (wife of Edwin Dunn). After that I cannot find him.

In 1901, Betsy and George live together with a boarder. Betsy says she's a widow. I'm not sure if that's true.

I've looked at the 1911 census (the picture not just the transcription) and Betsy and George are again living together. Betsy didn't fill out the part about hown many children she had and how many were living and how many had died. Perhaps that is left blank because she never had any children of her own.

I don't know how to find my George's birth. I've seen it several times that he was born August 28th. Sometimes the year is 1883 and sometimes it's 1884. I tend to go with 1883.
Stuart (India, Antrim, Armagh)
Whiting (Bedfordshire)
Dunn/Taylor (Worcestershire)
Pearson (Worcestershire)
Hill/Rhodes (Worcestershire)
Gough (Warwickshire)
Perry (Devon, Worcestershire)
Maynard (Essex, Yorkshire)
Jennings (Devon)
Coldicott (Warwickshire, Gloucestershire)

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 28 November 16 09:15 GMT (UK) »
If, as you think, he was adopted into the family and assumed the Dunn surname at some point, there will not be a birth entry for him under that surname. He might have been born and registered with a completely different name and grew up with the names Betsy & Edwin gave him.

It's a thankless task,  but one way would be to see which male children were born in Sept quarter 1883 in Stourbridge, rule out those that died and then try to find the remaining ones in the censuses after that.

Have you looked at other family members with lots of children where it might be possible someone gave Betsy and Edwin a child because they couldn't cope with anymore.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Benody1921

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 28 November 16 15:03 GMT (UK) »
That's a great idea. Thank you Dawnsh. I'll try going through the birth registers and see what I can come up with.

I've checked some of the family members but some of them are hard to find. Some are better documented than others.
Stuart (India, Antrim, Armagh)
Whiting (Bedfordshire)
Dunn/Taylor (Worcestershire)
Pearson (Worcestershire)
Hill/Rhodes (Worcestershire)
Gough (Warwickshire)
Perry (Devon, Worcestershire)
Maynard (Essex, Yorkshire)
Jennings (Devon)
Coldicott (Warwickshire, Gloucestershire)