Author Topic: Looking for Thomas Sherlock born 1850 Manchester  (Read 1788 times)

Offline NTS

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Thomas Sherlock born 1850 Manchester
« Reply #9 on: Friday 11 November 16 22:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sally.  This is the first time I have used this post, so will keep it short it case it doesn't work!  The Thomas Sherlock you refer to is my Great grand father, he was a blacksmith in Stretford Manchester where I was born.  His son, my grandfather was also a blacksmith there.  The Smithy is pictured in a book about Old Stretford, I can email it to you if you don't already have it  The problem you are having with finding his family is causing a lot of Sherlocks the same problem.  The information you have posted I believe to be correct, and I think he is shown as Thomas Speakman in one of the census reports as Thomas Speakman does not then show up again.  Anyway, it would be good to get in touch as we are clearly related.  Regards, Neville.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 11 November 16 22:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi in 1881 as Sherlock occ Blacksmith, it is possible he took the Speakman surname in 1871 occ Blacksmith b Manchester in Barton with a Johnson family
Census ref RG10/3970/133/30
Keyboard86

Hi and welcome to Rootschat, it must be the 1871 census 😂
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline NTS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 05 December 16 11:41 GMT (UK) »
Thomas Sherlock searchers may be interested in the following which is taken from a handwritten note  from a distant relative I was given a number of years ago.  In full the note says....
ErrorSPAM
REPORT THIS POST AS SPAM (Use 'Report to Moderator'). DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS IN THIS POST. DO NOT REPLY TO THIS PERSON.
]About 1850 a red headed Irish girl came from Dublin to England and found employment in a big house in Tarporley, Cheshire.  She had an illegitimate child by the squire and was sent back to Ireland. The father of the child, name unknown, arranged for the child to be cared for by an elderly couple in the village.  The child took his mothers name of Sherlock and was known as Tom Sherlock.  He inherited his auburn hair and blue eyes from his mother.  The elderly couple died and young Tom had a struggle to survive.  He told his family later that he had eaten pigswill because he was so hungry.[/color]

He became a blacksmith by trade and later moved to Stretford where he set up a smithy on Kings Street . This was a stopping point for horses on the horse-buses from Manchester to Chester along the Chester Road.

The work was very arduous and later he employed two of his sons, Fred and Tom in the smithy.

He and his wife Ellen also had other children, George, Ellen, Billy and Frank.  Tom was well liked and well known.  he died of a heart attack and was buried in Stretford cemetery.   
I have a photo of the grave if anyone would like to have it.  I cannot vouch for the accuracy of this 'story' but a lot of it makes sense to me having been in contact with other Sherlocks stumbling along the same road.  Does this ring any bells with anyone.  Regards to all.  Neville S

Offline Sally4x

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 29 March 17 08:38 BST (UK) »
Hi I only just saw your reply to my post. I would love to get in touch. I can't message you because you don't have enough posts.

Thanks

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 29 March 17 11:08 BST (UK) »
Hello Sally, Please do not publish your email addess online this is how spammers pick up on your details you change details and then the genuine researchers are unable to contact you. If you send NTS your details by PM they will be able to reply to you.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk