Author Topic: looking for birth of Francis (Frank Stewart) Drummore Wigtownshire  (Read 1685 times)

Offline rickyhpierre

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
looking for birth of Francis (Frank Stewart) Drummore Wigtownshire
« on: Saturday 15 October 16 02:08 BST (UK) »
I have hit a brick wall here.  Tried everything but can't find him before 1871. He is the father of my illegitimate grandmother  Margaret Stewart Jenkins. His name is not on the birth certificate.  She was born and raised in Llanishen Cardiff

March 1871 Frank age 33 is lodging Fidlas Road, Llanishen, Glamorgan, Wales with Richard Yorath, Margaret Stewart Jenkin's grandfather.

In 1871 Mary Jenkins, Margaret's mother,is living nearby in Cardiff with her two children by her husband Thomas Jenkins who is not recorded as living there. Later that year Mary gives birth to Margaret Stewart Jenkins, no father's name on the certificate

On the 1881 Scotland Census Frank Stewart age 43 records his birth as being  Drummore Wigtownshire 1838. He is lodging in Ardchattan, Argyll Scotland,  with a railway worker. Frank recorded as a labourer.

On the 1891 census Frank age 49 is recorded as lodging with John Walters stoker and family, at Danygraig, Rudry Cardiff. Frank is a platelayer.

In 1895 Margaret records him on her marriage certificate as "father Frank Stewart "Jenkins" Railway Ganger.   In 1896 her first son is named Frank Stewart Sherlock.

March 1901  Frank Stewart age 62 boarding at  17 Grove Street, Caerphilly,Glamorgan, Wales Foreman. Lodging with Thomas Rees (a Railway plate layer) and his wife.

In 1910 age 72 he dies in Barry Dock, Wales by drowning. While living  or visiting with his daughter Margaret Stewart Sherlock nee Jenkins.  Newspaper reports confirm that he is her father.  In his will his Daughter Margaret Stewart Jenkins in named as sole executor

I cannot find him before 1871  With the exception of the 1881 census Frank lists his place of birth as Scotland.  On each census he is unmarried.  I have searched extensively on Scotlands peopleto no avail.

Family "lore" seems to confirm everything. It seems Margaret was very proud of being of Scottish heritage.  She told my father that another  family name was LaFever or perhaps Lafervre,  Although not a Scottish name there are variations of the name Lefevre to be found in Scotland's censuses. No clues to them either.  Any suggestions? I visit Scotland once a year for a couple of months.

Thanks Ricky
Rixon/Rickson: Pembrokeshire, Kent, Scotland, Australia, S.A, USA
Sherlock: Kent, Pembrokeshire, Glamorgan, New Zealand, Australia, Canada
Yorath:  Glamorgan
Beaver/Beaver Portsea Hampshire
Cleaver Carmarthenshire Wales
Thomas:  Carmathenshire, Langfihangel Aberbythych,USA
Tyte: Gloucestershire, Glamorgan

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: looking for birth of Francis (Frank Stewart) Drummore Wigtownshire
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 October 16 03:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Ricky,

Your post is a bit of a muddle in terms of events in order  ;)

When was Margaret born & where?

Is Francis named on her birth cert?

Can you give the age of Francis on each census, where his place of birth was (recorded) & with whom he's living on each?

What is his general approx. yr of birth from ages on census'?

Who is he with in 1891 & 1901?

Have you been looking for Francis Stewart's birth on Scotlandspeople or where?

On the surname beginning "La/Le" I think you would need to be looking at a European link as it's certainly not a "Scottish" name.

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline rickyhpierre

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: looking for birth of Francis (Frank Stewart) Drummore Wigtownshire
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 October 16 08:00 BST (UK) »
  Sorry about that!  As I seem to have written it out of sequence I rewrote it in
 better order.  I hope it helps!
Rixon/Rickson: Pembrokeshire, Kent, Scotland, Australia, S.A, USA
Sherlock: Kent, Pembrokeshire, Glamorgan, New Zealand, Australia, Canada
Yorath:  Glamorgan
Beaver/Beaver Portsea Hampshire
Cleaver Carmarthenshire Wales
Thomas:  Carmathenshire, Langfihangel Aberbythych,USA
Tyte: Gloucestershire, Glamorgan