Author Topic: New UK Military records on Ancestry - but only if you upgrade  (Read 2629 times)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
New UK Military records on Ancestry - but only if you upgrade
« on: Saturday 15 October 16 02:54 BST (UK) »
Ancestry has just released the following UK records:

Military Deserters, 1812-1927
Royal Air Force Muster Roll, 1918
Naval and Military Courts Martial Registers, 1806-1930
British Jewry Roll of Honour, 1914-1918
British Army Lists, 1882-1962

But - and its a big but - they are only available via Fold 3 which requires an All Access Subscription, which is the one above the already expensive World subscription.

Not happy & off to tell them so....

Added: Just checked their FB page and this is what they say:
"we have just checked that ourselves and we can see the message that is displayed. We are investigating this and we will follow up with you via this thread as soon as we can. We're very sorry for any inconvenience that is causing for you this evening."

Seems the left hand doesn't know what the right one is doing. :-X
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
Re: New UK Military records on Ancestry - but only if you upgrade
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 October 16 06:49 BST (UK) »
Rather than an All Access Sub, you can get a separate one for Fold3 and currently its half price subscribing directly.

That said, I agree its getting a bit sneaky with Ancestry adding National Archives records to a separate website they own.  I am assuming that this is with the full knowledge of the NA, albeit that it won't bring them as much income from access royalties as it might if they were on the full Ancestry website because less people are likely to pay the extra to view them. ::)

Its not just the National Archives at Kew whose records are being added to Fold3, the Australian National Archives has an agreement with them and it looks like newly digitised records are only being added to Fold3 for them too, with a link to Ancestry itself encouraging people to upgrade.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 October 16 19:18 BST (UK) »
Ancestry has now deleted a chunk of the earlier thread and have instead replaced it with this:

"We appreciate your concerns and feedback in relation to the military collections which have been recently added to the site. We understand that not all customers are interested in our All Access Membership that provides access to Fold3, which is why we have provided access to the indexes of these collections on Ancestry so that they can be used to further member research".

Its more than sneaky, it's a cynical, grubby attempt to make yet more money, and if this is how they are going then I simply won't renew - they don't seem to have that many exclusive records these days anyway. 
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 October 16 20:22 BST (UK) »
they don't seem to have that many exclusive records these days anyway.

Depends where your research interests are.  They have rather a lot of original parish registers images which are exclusive to them that I need access to, and at least two more I know are in the pipeline, so for me to cancel would be detrimental to my research.  I do agree that other record sets do appear on multiple sites but like all the subscription sites, it really depends on where your research interests are. 

I'm surprised thought that the National Archives have agreed that their records can be put on a separate site as it surely is going to affect the number of royalties they will receive, although I suppose it depends on whether the person who negotiated the contract understands the differences. ::)
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 15 October 16 23:14 BST (UK) »
Looks like you can access them with Ancestry Library Edition  :-\
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 15 October 16 23:47 BST (UK) »
That's good to know - thanks Dawn