Author Topic: Mary Nixon - where did she come from and where did she go?  (Read 2520 times)

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Nixon - where did she come from and where did she go?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 16 October 16 16:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Keyboard86:

Yesterday I posted an image of the ages from the 1871 Census to see what others thought about Ann Nixon's age. Here is the link to that topic:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01iom/

Most thought it was as transcribed - 60 or possibly 64. But Gadget pursued the question further and came up with a very interesting summary which I thought you might like to see.

Thank you again for all of your help. It has refocused my search and made me feel like I might be close to solving the questions around my gt grandmother - Mary Ann Blower.

sami
England:  Archer, Bailey, Bates, Blower, Bosworth, Court, Hicklin, Orton, Palmer, Robbins, Sedgwick, Smith, Stevenson, Stone, Varnam, Wakelin, Walker
Canada:  Archer, Walker, Spencer, Shepherd
Australia:  Taplin
South Africa:  Risley

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 16 October 16 16:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Both  :)

I don't usually look at Leicestershire as, so far, I've no ancestors from there so don't feel qualified to help with look ups on this board.. I do have some in Staffordshire though, so started looking for Ann Nixon there.

It's a puzzle about the Blower surname - have you got the 1847 birth cert for Mary Ann?  Also, have you found Ann (bc 1826-1831) on the 1841?  I had a quick look but only found her parents.  I thought that it might help with the Blower surname.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 16 October 16 18:35 BST (UK) »
Hi as suggested by Gadget, have you the birth certificate of Mary Ann Nixon, if born 9th May 1847 then from your other thread it certainly tallies with the other information you have from family. As far as the "Blower" connection it then creates the problem of the birth of Matilda Nixon in Derby, shown with Charles Neville & Ann Nixon on 1871 as Matilda Stone, but marries as Nixon?

The baptism of Marianne NICKSON was 19th May 1847 Shenstone, St John the Baptist base born Mother Ann (Single) abode Mill Road.
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 16 October 16 18:48 BST (UK) »
.....It's a puzzle about the Blower surname - have you got the 1847 birth cert for Mary Ann?  Also, have you found Ann (bc 1826-1831) on the 1841?  I had a quick look but only found her parents.  I thought that it might help with the Blower surname.

Hi Gadget:

Yes, I have the birth cert and baptismal record for Mary Ann Nixon:

Birth Cert: 09 May 1847 Shenstone - father's name left blank - mother Ann Nixon, Shenstone.

Baptism: 19 May 1847 Shenstone - Marianne Nickson - base born daughter of Ann Nickson - Mill road Abode - Single Woman.

Ann Nixon on the 1841 Census:  HO107/980/14/28/19

I've always thought it is the Ann Nixon in the Parish of Shenstone, shown as age 19, F.S., born in Staffordshire.

The Blower name has always been the puzzle for me since I've never been able to connect Ann Nixon (or any other Nixon) to it.

.......added - see we've crossed again Keyboard86  :)

sami
England:  Archer, Bailey, Bates, Blower, Bosworth, Court, Hicklin, Orton, Palmer, Robbins, Sedgwick, Smith, Stevenson, Stone, Varnam, Wakelin, Walker

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 16 October 16 18:55 BST (UK) »
 ;D So my suggestion is, connect the surname Stone with Matilda and Ann Nixon?

Keyboard86

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 16 October 16 19:05 BST (UK) »
The best connection I've ever had to the Blower name was the 1850 marriage of Joseph Blower to Martha Sedgwick (nee Stevenson). In the 1851 census there is a 7 year old Mary Ann who looks to have been one of Martha's children with William Sedgwick. I've never been able to find that Mary Ann's birth but just recently found her death in 1852. That's what sent me back to the Nixon family and Mary Nixon, housekeeper, shown as born in Leicestershire.

;D So my suggestion is, connect the surname Stone with Matilda and Ann Nixon?

Keyboard86

That sounds like a plan. Also think I'll follow the Hughes a bit to see if any of them have turned up somehow in relation to my family.

Thanks again for all your work. Looks like a full day ahead  :)

sami

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 16 October 16 19:08 BST (UK) »
The only clue I can offer is that Matilda on later returns believes she was born 8th October 1866 and her death was 24th February 1947 Hereford, there is a probate for her on Ancestry, possibly the 1866 date was her baptism, her Birth certificate would be useful?
Keyboard86

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 16 October 16 19:13 BST (UK) »
This is what I found about Mathilda - on other thread:

Here, her daughter was a Mathilda, b. Derby in 1865 (Reg 1863 Derby St Peter and Rg 1st Q 1864,  and bpt 17 Oct 1863* with mother's name Mary!)  Could this Mathilda be the Mathilda Stone, aged 7, b. Derby on the 1871?

Add - * no father's name

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 16 October 16 19:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Keyboard86 and Gadget:

The only clue I can offer is that Matilda on later returns believes she was born 8th October 1866 and her death was 24th February 1947 Hereford, there is a probate for her on Ancestry, possibly the 1866 date was her baptism, her Birth certificate would be useful?
Keyboard86

I see that 08 Oct 1866 date in the 1939 record. Considering that the 1871 census was done early in the year I'd have thought that her age would be 4/5 at that time. Perhaps the birth cert would be useful - but UGH - I can't count the number of certificates I've ordered over the years  ;)

This is what I found about Mathilda - on other thread:

Here, her daughter was a Mathilda, b. Derby in 1865 (Reg 1863 Derby St Peter and Rg 1st Q 1864,  and bpt 17 Oct 1863* with mother's name Mary!)  Could this Mathilda be the Mathilda Stone, aged 7, b. Derby on the 1871?

Add - * no father's name

Gadget

That is interesting Gadget - is that a thread on RC or another board somewhere? I'm wondering who else was researching Matilda.

Thank you both again - Always happy to pursue new leads. Something has to connect somewhere :)

sami