Author Topic: How to find great-great grandmother's maiden surname Penelope Parker  (Read 8170 times)

Offline anto97

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: How to find great-great grandmother's maiden surname?
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 16 October 16 19:53 BST (UK) »
Ok, so what do you know for absolutely sure? Even if it is starting with what might seem like pretty obvious things - such as when and where was your grandfather born?  What were his parents called?

My grandfather was born in 1937 in Greece (his parents lived there for a couple of years). His parents name were James Blackwell and Theresa Parker.

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 16 October 16 19:53 BST (UK) »
Just for the record there is an army record for James Parker and his address at the time was given as c/o Bill Parker 41 Dishley Street, Leominster.
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 16 October 16 19:56 BST (UK) »
Completely leftfield here, but there is a marriage between a Penelope Parker and a Henry Soar in Doncaster in 1914.  I haven't investigated it fully, but is it possible that Penelope remarried?

Offline anto97

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 16 October 16 19:57 BST (UK) »
Just for the record there is an army record for James Parker and his address at the time was given as c/o Bill Parker 41 Dishley Street, Leominster.

So, may that James Parker be James Blackwell's father-in-law?  ???

Offline anto97

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 16 October 16 19:59 BST (UK) »
Completely leftfield here, but there is a marriage between a Penelope Parker and a Henry Soar in Doncaster in 1914.  I haven't investigated it fully, but is it possible that Penelope remarried?

So, if she remarried why didn't she changed her surname????

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 16 October 16 20:02 BST (UK) »

I should have phrased things better, sorry!  Are you certain that Penelope Parker died in Leominster, or did you just find that Penelope Parker because she was the only one who died around the right time?  Is it possible that if Mr Parker died before c. 1908, Penelope remarried?

Offline anto97

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 16 October 16 20:05 BST (UK) »

I should have phrased things better, sorry!  Are you certain that Penelope Parker died in Leominster, or did you just find that Penelope Parker because she was the only one who died around the right time?  Is it possible that if Mr Parker died before c. 1908, Penelope remarried?

I sure that she didn't get married again. She was under 65 at the time of death. That matched pretty much with the Penelope Parker I found in freebmd, but the "Leominster" part is the one making me have second thoughts.

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 16 October 16 20:09 BST (UK) »
I think we have pretty much established that the Penelope Parker who died in 1942 in Leominster was born, raised, married and died in Leominster, so I would have thought that the Leominster connection would have been relatively well known if that was the correct Penelope Parker.

Offline anto97

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 16 October 16 20:20 BST (UK) »
I think we have pretty much established that the Penelope Parker who died in 1942 in Leominster was born, raised, married and died in Leominster, so I would have thought that the Leominster connection would have been relatively well known if that was the correct Penelope Parker.

If the correct Penelope Parker, is the one who died in Leominster in 1942, aged 62, then why can't I connect her to a husband named Henry and a daughter named Theresa?

Are there no indexed records or I miss some info?