Author Topic: Samuel White and wife Hannah/Ann  (Read 616 times)

Offline cwelli

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Samuel White and wife Hannah/Ann
« on: Saturday 15 October 16 21:02 BST (UK) »
Both these people were born around 1767. I have been trying to find out when they  were married and Hannah's maiden name. I think they were born and married in Birmingham. Their children were Samuel -1799, Thomas -1801,William -1803 and Isaac -1808. Logic would say that  there may have been another between the last two. Mainly baptised in St Philips.
On the 1841 census Hannah is living with her son Isaac who is my husband's 3x grandfather.
I think Samuel's parents were John White and Dorothy.
White isn't the easiest of names to research especially in the Birmingham area!!
Any help will be much appreciated.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel White and wife Hannah/Ann
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 October 16 12:51 BST (UK) »
I can only find two of the baptisms you mention at St Philip’s
Thomas White 27 Apr 1801 Samuel, Hannah
Isaac White 3 Oct 1808 Samuel, Ann

I note that Hannah was age 75 on the 1841 census (1766) abode Lodge Rd. so I guess that this is her burial 8 Jan 1843, age 79 (1764) Birmingham.

Samuel White, age 58 (1761) Burial 11 Feb 1819 Birmingham, St Mary, abode Thorp St. seems most likely.

I guess they both would have been well into their 30s if they married in the late 1790s. So maybe they had both been married earlier?

I cannot find a suitable birth or marriage for Samuel in Birmingham but several possibilities elsewhere.

Colin

Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline cwelli

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 October 16 20:24 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Colin. I think that you have found good possibilities for the deaths of Samuel and Hannah. This also gives a different year for births so I need to do some more research.
I have now spotted that  the other two sons were baptised at St Mary's.
Possibly there were children born prior to Samuel 1799 in a different area ??

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 October 16 11:38 BST (UK) »
Hello
Just to warn you I had a  look at the Will of Samuel White candlestick maker of Birmingham made 1805.
It names his brother Mark White and his niece Ann White and nephew Samuel White gets £25.
As Isaac was a steel pen maker the occupation it have may tied in.
But there is a baptism for Samuel in 1781 in Hammerwich to Mark and Ann White so there are other Samuel Whites in Birmingham

Ciderdrinker

Offline cwelli

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 October 16 20:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you.
Isaac born 1808, listed in my first post was the steel pen maker. I haven't come across a Mark White in my research so far.
I have 5 Samuel's. 5 Thomas' and 5 William's and 3 Isaac's which have made research a challenge!