Author Topic: John Dorrington  (Read 7697 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: John Dorrington
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 18 October 16 16:31 BST (UK) »
I had also noted that May nee Dorrington and Henry Wigfall had a daughter born Q1 1918 - Sheffield - 9c 982 - Marjorie E Wigfall  married William Ledwood September 1940 - Sheffield - 9c 2111 - They had 4 children. Marjorie passed away 12 December 2004.
The couple appear on electoral rolls for Rother Valley Division Handsworth - address in Mason Crescent 1948. There are a couple of other entries as well.

FIND A GRAVE

Burial -  Handsworth Cemetery  Handsworth Metropolitan Borough of Birmingham West Midlands.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=ledwood&GSiman=1&GScid=2234889&GRid=22128975&

There is also an entry for William Ledwood in 1980 at the same cemetery.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 18 October 16 16:42 BST (UK) »
Clifford Thomason Dorrington - birth date 14 April 1894 -  baptised 2 May 1894 - Holbeck, St Luke, Yorkshire, England passed away Pontypridd Glamorganshire - September 1971 - Volume 8b 2103  - aged 77 years.

Clifford shows on the 1911 UK Census.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 18 October 16 17:37 BST (UK) »
From an old message board post - it would seem that the marriage certificate says John was a widower.

http://boards.ancestry.com.au/localities.britisles.england.cam.general/670/mb.ashx

Sandra

Offline zetlander

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 18 October 16 20:44 BST (UK) »
A lot of hard work and many gaps filled - many thanks.

The missing one is John Dorrington.

First 'sighting' is in 1885 when he's a widower age 31 and marries Amy Thomason. His father's name is given as John Dorrington.

Have been unable to find him on the 1861 - 1871 census. Unable to find his first marriage or his birth record.

He is in England on the 1891 and 1901 censuses   - birth place on  both given as Whittlesey (Whittlesea) Lincolnshire.

Amy died in 1908 and John Dorrington in 1910.

1870 U S Federal Census --  I have a John Dorrington aged 20 working as a jockey (miner) at Unionville, Lewis and Clark, Montana Territory. His birth place given as England.

John and Amy's children taken into care - two boys into Homes in England - two girls to Canada - Home Children.  Eldest daughter stays in England.

Another daughter Amy Andalusia Dorrington goes to U.S. ?? marries Louis Grimard. In 1920 on US census she is in Lincoln County Wisconsin.  Interestingly gives her father's nationality as Welsh.

2 Questions  -  Could 'our' John Dorrington have married in the U.S. or Canada - been widowed?? then returned alone to England.
                   -  Why did Amy Dorrington go by herself to the U.S. and then Canada? She was old enough to have remained independently in England.  Could there have been some Dorrington relatives in the U.S.

No one in the family knows anything about John Dorrin gton apart from the fact he was a very talented musician.

Again many thanks.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday 18 October 16 22:27 BST (UK) »
I suspected that you already had much of this information.

There was only Margery who appears to have gone to Canada as part of a Dr Barnado party (Home Child)  when she was 12 years old.  Amy was 21 years old (passenger list did not indicate Amy had been in Canada previously) and Grace in 1915 when she was 2 years old. (The passenger list for Grace does not indicate she had been in Canada previously)

Have you found either of those girls on earlier passenger lists ?

I had seen the 1870 census for a John Dorrington in Montana - the age would have varied from that given at marriage and on census  ???

The old message board post quoted the marriage certificate for John giving his father as James, according to the old message board post but you are saying John  ???  Which is correct  ???

Without parents names and a proper year of birth, it is impossible to say for sure that John Dorrington was ever in the USA or in Canada.  Have you got the death cert ?  There was a possible John Dorrington born 1852 who passed away in 1910 Sheffield, although I did also come across a family tree which said he died in 1905 - although there is no death recorded in Leeds for 1905  ???

I went thru many of the UK John Dorrington births in the 1850's and matched them to a father that did not have the name James or John.  ???

Perhaps Amy went to Canada because she knew her sister Margery was already there.  ???

Sandra

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 19 October 16 10:20 BST (UK) »
Perhaps the name was changed and wasn't originally John Dorrington.  Andalusia is Spanish and pretty unusual name - Could there be a  connection to  Europe/Spain maybe  ??? Grasping at straws now but have tried to look at the names Andalusia and Vida which were used for the first two girls, couldn't find any earlier connection in the Thomason family for those so far.

Sandra

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday 24 April 18 16:37 BST (UK) »
Wrong thread!
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Golfguy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Thursday 23 May 19 00:08 BST (UK) »
I would like to comment on this.  I was trying to look up my Grandmother's Brother whom I always thought was Phillip but I now believe that it is John. If this is the sasme person.  A captain I was always told on a ship on the Great Lakes. All of the names here are my grandmother Grace's Family.  Grace married Cyril Brook, and two children Marjorie (my mother) and Charles Cyril - WWII deceased RAF 102 Squadron.  Margery or Marjorie (London St. Josephs Hospital the New York, Bell telephone as a nurse, deceased New Jersey, my great aunt.  Another sister married a Grimard - Last known address Vancouver Washington - I lost track of - had a son in Muskegon Michigan - Another sister I met in Yorkshire around 1970.  I was also told they came to Canada as Barnardo refugees? Grace was a maid or house cleaner

Offline Golfguy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Thursday 23 May 19 14:35 BST (UK) »
A bit of a correction on my post I think - The Grimard I was speaking of would have been the son of the Dorrington sister who moved to Montreal.  He told me he had a son in Michigan before I lost contact. 

In my search for Phillip or Phil who I had decided must have been John, I am now seeing a post above:
Canadian Passenger List - Philip Dorrington born 1902 Leeds and aged 24 years. Travelled Liverpool to Quebec on the Montcalm arriving 23 July 1926 on the Montcalm. Occupation Miner - going to sister Mrs Cyril Brook, 1021 King Street, London Ontario. Name of nearest relative in country from whence came was Mrs May V Severs 77 Oxford Street Sheffield.

In my notes - I had noted there was a Phillip Dorrington showing up on Canada Voters List  Lincoln Ontario in 1935 (sailor) with a wife Mrs Philip Dorrington and again in 1949 Phillip Dorrington (engineer) 18 Alexandra Street Lincoln Ontario.  Would need to verify if this was the same Phillip.

The sister mentioned on the passenger list May V Dorrington had first married Henry Wigfall - Sept 1917  - Wortley, Yorkshire West Riding -  9c 516

The death of Henry Wigfall was recorded Ecclesall B - September 1925 - 9C 308

Second marriage for Mary nee Dorrington/Wigfall was to Thomas Severs in Q1 of 1926 - Ecclesall Bierlow -    Yorkshire West Riding - 9C 50

Thank you Sandra - This is what i was looking for