Author Topic: What was this place?  (Read 1179 times)

Offline mareanna

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
What was this place?
« on: Sunday 16 October 16 12:54 BST (UK) »
I have found a (deceased) ancestor on the 1939 register listed at the "Public Assistance Institution", Leicester Road.  He is one of over 90 names.  His wife is living at a private address, listed as a daily cleaner, out of work. 

Was there still a work house in 1939  :(  what kind of place was he living in  ???
Weston/Wesson, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire & Leicestershire
Merriman - Stanford on Soar, Canada & Australia
Antill and Wood-Antill, in Mountsorrel, Leicestershire, Caernarfonshire, Canada & New Zealand
Bamford, Northamptonshire & Derbyshire
Baum
Curtis
Richards
Elwin
Locker
Robinson
Langham
Langsdale
Ferguson - Ireland and Devon
Bamford
Newbold
Dobie - Dumfriesshire & Co Durham
Jones, incl Broster Jones and Tyzack Jones
Scranton, Philadelphia

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What was this place?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 October 16 13:36 BST (UK) »
Where was this?

I suspect there are a great many "Leicester Road"'s in Leicestershire ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 October 16 13:37 BST (UK) »
After the formal abolition of the Workhouse system in 1930 many Workhouses became Public Assistance Institutions. They were administered by local Public Assistance Committees and set up by coucil or borough councils. Sometimes referred to as County Institutions or County Homes. The elderly, chronically sick, unmarried mothers & vagrants found accomodation there. Many of the Workhouse staff were kept on but they no longer wore uniforms and the residents (referred to as inmates in the old Workhouse system) were allowed to come and go as they pleased.

Maybe this was the type of accomodation in Leicester road?

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 October 16 13:46 BST (UK) »
This local history society may  be able to help
https://www.le.ac.uk/lahs/
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline mareanna

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 16 October 16 16:07 BST (UK) »
The Institution was in Mountsorrel, with its inhabitants listed as either O, V, S, P, or I
Antill and Wood-Antill, in Mountsorrel, Leicestershire, Caernarfonshire, Canada & New Zealand
Baum
Curtis
Richards
Elwin
Locker
Robinson
Langham
Langsdale
Bamford
Newbold
Scranton, Philadelphia

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 16 October 16 16:19 BST (UK) »
I think you may have to take the image down as the 1939 register is copyright.

That column is blank or marked with a 'X' for all the relatives I have accessed. Looks like all the staff are categorised 'O'.

ADDED:
From http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/1939-register/#4-what-information-can-i-find-in-the-1939-register
role (for institutions only – for example, Officer, Visitor, Servant, Patient, Inmate)
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY

Offline mareanna

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 16 October 16 16:46 BST (UK) »
I have always thought that small extracts for personal use were not part of Copyright, but stand corrected if wrong.  Glad to acknowledge that the extract is from Find My Past with The National Archives
From gov.uk:
"Non-commercial research and private study
You are allowed to copy limited extracts of works when the use is non-commercial research or private study, but you must be genuinely studying (like you would if you were taking a college course). Such use is only permitted when it is ‘fair dealing’ and copying the whole work would not generally be considered fair dealing.

The purpose of this exception is to allow students and researchers to make limited copies of all types of copyright works for non-commercial research or private study. In assessing whether your use of the work is permitted or not you must assess if there is any financial impact on the copyright owner because of your use. Where the impact is not significant, the use may be acceptable.

If your use is for non-commercial research you must ensure that the work you reproduce is supported by a sufficient acknowledgment."

The question is, is genealogy "studying"  ???
Baum
Curtis
Richards
Elwin
Locker
Robinson
Langham
Langsdale
Bamford
Newbold
Scranton, Philadelphia

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 16 October 16 17:03 BST (UK) »
Absolutely get your point mareanna & just wanted to warn you in case as a moderator thought it was too large a snippet  :)

I may be completely wrong here but I think when findmypast & other bodies refer to 'copying', they mean making paper photocopies rather that 'copying' the image to a publicly accessible place or web page. Not saying it's the same thing but I used to work with in copyright OS maps & as long as the partial copies of the images were contained in private reports for clients that was OK but I couldn't publish those reports online.

Considering the amount I have learned from doing my family history (and that of others) I would definitely say genealogy is studying, you just never know where your particular person or subject will lead  :D so can't say it's such & such a subject.

Josey

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 16 October 16 17:20 BST (UK) »
I think it was formerly the Barrow-upon-Soar workhouse?

See: http://www.workhouses.org.uk/BarrowUponSoar/

where it says:
A new Barrow-upon-Soar Union workhouse was erected at Mountsorrel in 1838-40.
The workhouse later became known as Glenfrith Hospital and Mountsorrel Hospital
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)