Author Topic: HENRY PLUMPTON (1657-1710), curate and schoolmaster at Snaith  (Read 5123 times)

Offline DavidPn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: HENRY PLUMPTON (1657-1710), curate and schoolmaster at Snaith
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 07 May 17 22:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Dan,
you have posted part of the Pedigree of a branch of the Wilson family. This family's connection with Plumpton was through John who was the grandson of the second Henry Plumpton of Snaith. You may be interested in some of his history. He was born near Colsterworth in Lincolnshire on 28 February 1754/5. He was interested in his family history and contacted the College of Arms in 1775, when he was a student of physic (medicine) to request a painting of the Plumpton coat of arms. His father had used the Plumpton seal of five fusils. He deposited a pedigree with the College which shows his family including aunts and uncles. However, it only goes back as far as the first Henry Plumpton of Snaith. John did not know his ancestors before that though he knew he was connected with the Yorkshire family owing to the use of the coat of arms. He became the surgeon to Colsterworth and in 1779 married Ann Bowers and this is recorded in the Dublin Evening Post. Sometime later he became a naval surgeon and is recorded as the naval surgeon on HMS Ramillies in 1794, under Captain Henry Harvey during the engagements with the French during that year. I have not found a record for his death though the diary of the Rev Greaves of Little Linford, who knew the family, gives the date of 1795 in the West Indies. The date given in the Wilson pedigree of  1824 in Bath in Somerset appears to be incorrect. A John Plumpton of Bath did leave a will at that date but its contents show that this was a different person. His line through the Wilsons gave rise to a number of clergy, including an Archbishop of Canterbury, a Cambridge mathematician and some national sportsmen.

Offline DanNC

• RootsChat Member
  • William Day (1834-1902)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 08 May 17 03:11 BST (UK) »
Hi David,

Thank you very much for all the new information and I apologize for being so late in responding. Life gets in the way of my genealogy work sometimes. It's going to take some time for me to go through everything and understand it, but I look forward to doing so. I appreciate all the work you've done!

Thanks again,
Dan

Offline Prez56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 06 May 20 15:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Dan,

I am also trying to determine the parents and lineage of Henry Plumpton (1657-1710). Have you happened to make any progress since your last post?

Thanks,
Pam

Offline DanNC

• RootsChat Member
  • William Day (1834-1902)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 06 May 20 19:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Pam,

Sorry, but I don't have any new info to add to Henry's line.

Dan

Offline Prez56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 06 May 20 19:21 BST (UK) »
Ok, thanks for checking.

Offline DavidPn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 07 May 20 18:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Pam,
I am pleased that you are investigating this line. Earlier in the thread I have mentioned Henry's father though his mother's name is not yet known.
To give the full line from Henry of Snaith b1657:
His father was Edward of Harrogate b1629. This is not the same Edward as the one who is mentioned in the Visitations as a son of Ann Morgan.
Edward of Harrogate's parents were Henry Plumpton (birth date unknown) who married Margaret Ripley on May 1 1622. This Henry is mentioned in Yorkshire Pedigrees.
Henry was the son of Robert (Plumpton) of Harrogate d 22 Dec 1613
Robert of Harrogate was the son of Robert (Plumpton) of Knaresborough who is mentioned in nearly all the Plumpton/Plompton pedigrees. This Robert of Knaresborough is also mentioned in the Plumpton Correspondence which is an important source for historians interested in the 15th-16th centuries. Robert was the son of Sir Robert Plumpton and Agnes Gascoigne.
I hope this helps and you enjoy tracing this family further. There is lots of interesting material and original records.

David

Offline Prez56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 07 May 20 22:05 BST (UK) »
Hi David,

Thanks for this! I confirms what I suspected after going through the Knaresborough baptism records. When I have time I'll go through the page images looking for Henry—some of his siblings are there, and perhaps his name was mistranscribed. Do you know anything about Mary Ripley? This is the first time I've been able to trace my family back to the Middle Ages and beyond, and it's been a lot of fun, to say the least.

Best regards,
Pam

Offline DavidPn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 10 May 20 17:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Pam,
In relation to Henry b1657, I do know that he had an elder brother John b1656.
I regret that I do not know anything further about Margaret Ripley other than her marriage date. I did request a search from North Yorkshire records in the Knaresborough baptisms records but they did not find a record for Margaret. However, there were two baptisms in the register with the father Ralph Ripley (Riplae). I would be very interested if you find anything further. I presume they must have, at some time, come from the nearby village of Ripley to have their surname.
I have noted on the previous page of this thread that there have been some misinterpretations of the family history in some of the published pedigrees. Another of these that I may mention, as it is relevant here, comes from the book "A genealogy and historical notices of the family of Plimpton or Plymtpon in America" published in 1884. This is an interesting read but gives Henry, son of Robert, as Citizen of London, Salter. I have looked at the will of that Henry but he appears to come from Lancashire and the hamlet of Plumpton there, rather than from the Yorkshire Plumpton.
You may be interested to look at some of the wider genealogy of Henry, son of Robert, who married Margaret, as it is given in the 1636 will of his mother Alice Plumpton.
I hope this is of some help.

David

Offline Prez56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 12 May 20 15:03 BST (UK) »
Hi David,

There is an Aldborough baptism record for a Margaret Ripley on 10 July 1602, father George Ripley. It's a possibility. I agree that she likely came from the large Ripley family from the area around Ripley and Rippon. There was a George Ripley from a couple of centuries earlier who was a famous alchemist(!)

The Alice Plumpton does have a lot of useful family data. In combining it with the Knaresborough baptism records (which seems to be this Plompton branch's local church) I believe Robert and Alice's children were:

Thomas, baptized 8 Sep 1588
Dorothy, baptized 10 May 1595
Ellen (Elena), baptized 1 Apr 1599
Edward (Edmund), baptized 14 Jul 1602
Henry, ??? No baptism record I can find after scrutinizing the Knaresborough record images and other available local records. I find this very curious. He appears with his siblings in the Plumpton Pedigree and is mentioned in Alice's will as her son.

Another mystery: I found a marriage record for a Robert Plumpton and Alice from Ouseburn Little, dated 22 May 1589. There is an image of a written record—I cannot tell if it's the original or a transcript, but the script looks contemporary—and there is a blank space after Alice's first name, as if to be filled in later. That was not common practice in these records as far as I can tell. Also, this was after the recorded baptism of son Thomas. If these are the same people, it makes me think there was something irregular about this relationship at the start.

One last thing: I had noted Henry's (b 1657) siblings to be Elizabeth (b 1665) and Samuel (b 1669, also in Henry's will). Where did you get the information about John?

Thanks,
Pam