Author Topic: Scotts Shipyard Greenock  (Read 1754 times)

Offline purlin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Scotts Shipyard Greenock
« on: Sunday 16 October 16 20:47 BST (UK) »
I am trying to establish the year the Norwegian Freighter, DS Inger ll was berthed at Greenock for repairs by Scotts Shipbuilders and Engineers.   The Inger ll was built by Scotts and at the time it was being repaired it was owned by the Norwegian firm of Jacob Kjode of Bergen.

I believe it was during the period between 1950-1954 but i need to know the exact year.

Does anyone have any local knowledge of the Shipyards and suggest where i could search for such a record?   Would it have been berthed in a particular dock?

any help would be greatly appreciated

Purlin
Crosbie, Crosby, Black, Woods, Johnstone, Kelly, Howatt, McMillan, Wauchope Scott, Smith, Gibbons, Roberts, Hildred, Jones, Hughes. Curran, Palmer. Hughes, Jones, Wilcox, wilbraham, owen
Liverpool, Dumfriesshire, Kirkudbrightshire, Cheshire, Flintshire, llanrwst, trefriw, Lincolnshire, America, Canada, New Zealand.

Offline Istrice

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Scotts Shipyard Greenock
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 October 16 23:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Purlin,

The local daily paper is the Greenock Telegraph.  An e-mail, or a short letter to them may provide the info you are looking for, especially if they place it on the Letters page.  (www.greenocktelegraph.co.uk).
Failing this the McLean Museum and/or the Watt Library in Greenock may be able to help.  Addresses for these institutions can be found on the Inverclyde Council website.

Istrice

Offline purlin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 October 16 09:11 BST (UK) »
Istrice, thank you for your prompt reply, i shall follow up on your suggestions.

Thank you
Regards  Purlin
Crosbie, Crosby, Black, Woods, Johnstone, Kelly, Howatt, McMillan, Wauchope Scott, Smith, Gibbons, Roberts, Hildred, Jones, Hughes. Curran, Palmer. Hughes, Jones, Wilcox, wilbraham, owen
Liverpool, Dumfriesshire, Kirkudbrightshire, Cheshire, Flintshire, llanrwst, trefriw, Lincolnshire, America, Canada, New Zealand.

Offline Istrice

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 October 16 18:48 BST (UK) »
Purlin,

The following references may be of assistance in your search.  I had a quick look at the second site which gives a list of ships constructed by Scotts (and other yards in the Greenock area) but could find no reference to a D/S Inger II.  She may of course have been renamed after launching.
The first site makes reference to the D/S Inger, torpedoed in 1941.

http://www.warsailors.com/freefleet/index.html
http://www.inverclydeshipbuilding.co.uk/home/inverclyde-shipyards/scotts/ships-built-by-scott-s
www.gla.ac.uk/media/media_60314_en.pdf
www.gla.ac.uk/media/media_60315_en.pdf

Another source of information may be from the Glasgow Herald archives.  The paper had a daily list of shipping movements on the R.Clyde

Hope your search is successful.

Regards

Istrice

Offline purlin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 October 16 19:00 BST (UK) »
Istrice,

I contacted Watts Library they were not able to help.  I have also contacted the University of Glasgow Archives Services and await replies from them.
I did find more information on the ship however from the owners Kjode in Bergen Norway.

SS Ingerto 8.483 t,dw Built by Scott's Shipsbuilding & Enginering Co,Ltd, Greenock, as "Dalmore" 4.1927. 12.1946 Bought by J.Kjøde.
ErrorSPAM
REPORT THIS POST AS SPAM (Use 'Report to Moderator'). DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS IN THIS POST. DO NOT REPLY TO THIS PERSON.
]12.1960 Sold renamed "Tassos P S" 1961 Sold renamed "Claire". 1967 Sold. 04.1968 Laid up. 6.1969 Towed to breakers in La Spezia.

Apparently it was bought by Kjode of Bergen in 1946,  so its possible it then went to Scotts for repair or refit prior to service.  i suppose depending on the type of repair or refit it could have been with Scotts for a year or so?

I shall keep searching.  Thank you again for your links i will follow them up.

Regards Purlin
[/color]

Offline Grey Seagull

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 December 16 22:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I believe the Archive Department at the Mitchell Library in Glasgow also holds a lot of information about Clydebuilt ships.  You could also try the Riverside Museum which is the new version of the Transport Museum which has a lot of ship models and probably an archivist or historian.

:)
Fleming: Campsie, Glasgow, E Kilbride, Cumbria, Canada/USA, Oz (NSW)
Cant: Kilmichael, Inverness, Resoles, Moray
Stewart: Dingwall, Strathpeffer
Rankin(e): Argyll, Glasgow
Ferrier: Kinnell, Red Castle, Inverkeillor, Glasgow, Greenock
Morrell: Dundee, Oban, Perth, Rothesay
Harris: Glasgow, Dunoon
Hart: Govan
McDonell/McDonald: Knoydart, Kilmonivaig, Inverness, Paisley
(Mc)Niven: Islay, Glasgow
MacDonald: N Uist, Glasgow
MacCorquodale: N Uist
Dear: St Cyrus
Gibb: St Vigeans
Bell: Forfarshire

Offline purlin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 December 16 18:25 GMT (UK) »
Grey Seagull,  thank you for your suggestions, i will follow them up.  I was running out of ideas so your advice is welcome.

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 12 December 16 19:12 GMT (UK) »
It may pay you to look in Lloyd's List. Copies, I believe at the Scottish National Library.
Lloyd's List, published daily, gives the movement of ships worldwide. It may answer your question  on when the vessel was being repaired at Greenock, together with the appropriate dates.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline purlin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 12 December 16 20:20 GMT (UK) »
seaweed, thank you as well for another worthwhile suggestion. I will follow up.