Author Topic: How do I trace the parents of Alfred Edward Hall  (Read 4963 times)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: How do I trace the parents of Alfred Edward Hall
« Reply #27 on: Monday 17 October 16 16:33 BST (UK) »
My feeling is that the 1900 death this John Edward Hall is too old. Worth trying to find a John Edward Hall b ca 1855 in the 1891 census not forgetting that many people did not put their middle initial on census returns. Your John Edward Hall is 21 in 1891 so born ca 1869-70. 

ADDED: this is a possibility
Deaths Jun 1925   
Hall    John E    56    Newcastle T.    10b   104
however probate for a 29 Apr 1925 death of John Hall of 11 Elvet St, Heaton, Newcastle is granted to Hannah Hall widow effects £46 5s 10d. Sadly no occupation given. 

Unrelated [wrong occupation] but there is a prison record in 1896 for a John Hall labourer born Newcastle aged 25 5 ft 2 in imprisoned for 1 month at Wakefield 'disorderly pauper destroying his own clothing'   :(

Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 17 October 16 16:43 BST (UK) »
ms=ybe getsome help from aus relatives.who may well have some answers
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 17 October 16 16:49 BST (UK) »
is this hall family around aberdeenshire tunriff,or turriff, cant remember its been so long since i was in contact with that branch of my family, but I would definately place the question on the australian board, you msy get the answers you are seeking, it must be over 20 yrs since I was looking, so cant reallly help possitively for sure/
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 17 October 16 16:50 BST (UK) »
Might I suggest another trip to the library,Michael to see if you can locate the marriage of John Edward Hall and Mary L Howe.This would confirm fathers' names and occupations.

If Edward Hall does turn out to be John Edward's father the probate calendar can be accessed through either the HMRC site or Ancestry. The entry states:

Hall Edward of 30 Albany Gardens Whitley Bay Northumberland provision salesman died 13 Dec 1908.Probate 13 Jan 1909 Newcastle upon Tyne to Elizabeth Hall Annie Pearson Hall and Edith Jean Hall spinsters. Effects £416-16s.

To find it on the HMRC site put Hall as surname 1909 for year and scroll until you come to the correct one. You can order the will online (£10) and it should arrive as an e mail after a few days (the last one I ordered arrived after five days).

Hope this helps

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 17 October 16 18:12 BST (UK) »
Genuki has in its Northumberland section transcriptions of death notices which appeared in the Newcastle Evening Chronicle from 1885 to 1906. Here are three:

Mary Lizzie Hall 14 Nov 1896 aged 25 Cullercoats.
Elizabeth Foreman Howe 20 Sep 1898 aged 60 Cullercoats.
John Howe 10 Oct 1898 aged 66 Cullercoats. (The probate calendar shows that John Howe also left a will - probate Newcastle 23 Dec 1898).

Cannot see a death for John Edward Hall in that source.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 17 October 16 21:08 BST (UK) »
Might I suggest another trip to the library,Michael to see if you can locate the marriage of John Edward Hall and Mary L Howe.This would confirm fathers' names and occupations.

Thanks William,

I've had a look on the council's website and found that there is a marriage registered in 1891 between a John Hall and Mary Howe. Unfortunately the certificate reference relates to a church that the library doesn't hold records for so I can't get at that certificate.

However, I have narrowed it down to the first quarter so I can sit and go through the local papers for those 3 months at the weekend and see if there is an announcement, fingers crossed there may be something there.

Michael
Dale (Newcastle Upon Tyne), Beck, English, Hall, Harrison, Stephenson (all from the North Shields, South Shields area), Woodger (from the Newcastle and Liss areas)

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 12 November 16 02:47 GMT (UK) »
also have a look around rurrif aberdeen, the hall family are a branch of n=my family and threy modtly lived around turriff, this includes mary craig and john hall. margaret forbes etc.
 searl rogers sutherland

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 12 August 17 20:54 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I've been trying to tidy a few loose ends up on my tree and have ended up looking at Alfred Edward Hall on the 1939 register for the first time, I've found another twist in his story.

He has put his DOB as the 8th of April 1888, but his military service record has it as the 28th Aug 1891. Looking at the previous census and his ages on them I think his service record is probably his real DOB.

To thicken the plot his wife's date of birth was originally 9 Oct 1904 on the 1939 register but it has been corrected at some point to 1893, the year it should be according to previous census.

So both have changed their ages on the 1939 register. She had made herself 11 years younger than she was, he was 3 years older.

Anyone have any theories about why they would do this?

Michael
Dale (Newcastle Upon Tyne), Beck, English, Hall, Harrison, Stephenson (all from the North Shields, South Shields area), Woodger (from the Newcastle and Liss areas)

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 20 September 17 13:58 BST (UK) »
have a look around rurrif, tough going rowards aberdeen that is where I am almost ceraain that they lived. before they disappeared off to ausrealia and carolina etc.
 searl rogers sutherland