Author Topic: Clerk of Captain James Strachan on His Majesty's War Ship "The Alfred" 1778  (Read 482 times)

Offline dundee lass

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hello, I am researching my ggg grandfather James Strachan from Leith, Midlothian, Scotland, I do not have his exact date of birth, but he would have been born around 1760 in Leith or Edinburgh.The only information I can find on him was on his certificate of his marriage in St.Cuthberts  Edinburgh, it stated that he was Clerk of Captain on His Majesty's War Ship "The Alfred" in 1778. I have tried to find his navy records, with no luck. He died in 1805 and at time of death he was a director of customs house in Leith,  Midlothian, Scotland.
Any information or advice on how to find my ggg grandfathers naval records would be greatly appreciated, many thanks

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Clerk of Captain James Strachan on His Majesty's War Ship "The Alfred" 1778
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 October 16 23:27 BST (UK) »
They did not keep individual records of ratings before 1853. But the ships log, muster and paylist of Alfred are in the National Archives.

Ken

Offline dundee lass

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 October 16 01:44 BST (UK) »
Hello Ken, thank you, I was not sure if the records would have went back that far. I will try the National Archives and hope to find his records there, many thanks :)

Offline dundee lass

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 October 16 10:08 BST (UK) »
I have searched the records and can not find him, but thank you for pointing me in the right direction :)