Author Topic: Frederick Vogel, possibly from Kirchberg an der Murr  (Read 1238 times)

Offline Nick93

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Frederick Vogel, possibly from Kirchberg an der Murr
« on: Tuesday 18 October 16 01:15 BST (UK) »
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone with access to German records could find a Frederick Vogel for me. His gravestone says he was born April 6, 1814, in Germany, and he died May 29, 1871. Came to America around 1840 and died in Ohio. The census of 1870 says he came from Wuerttemberg. My dad told me that his dad/my grandpa, while he was a photographer with the army, went to the village in Germany that Frederick came from, Kirchberg an der Murr. I don't know the details of the story, but that's supposed to be Frederick's hometown, and it is in Wurrtemberg. I wondered if anyone had acccess to the town's baptismal records to find a Frederick Vogel born there on April 6, 1814. Would really appreciate it. I guess in German records it might be spelled Friedrich.

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Frederick Vogel, possibly from Kirchberg an der Murr
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 October 16 18:56 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I think I have found a possible baptism for Frederick/Friedrich, it's in the "Württemberg, Germany, Lutheran Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1500-1985" at Ancestry. It's transcribed as,

Baptism
Friedrich Vogel

Father:  Johann Diedrich VOGEL 
Mother:  Anna Maria VOGLIN 
Birth Date:  6 Apr 1815
Baptism Date:  7 Apr 1815
Baptism Place:  Kirchberg, Marbach u. Oa, Württemberg (Baden-Württemberg), Deutschland

I've found this page useful to translate documents from German to English,

http://narafriends-pittsfield.org/gechurch.htm

Regards,
Daisy

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Rudolf H B

• RootsChat Veteran
  • His gt grandchildren KIA on both sides in WW1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 October 16 17:36 BST (UK) »
Excellent research Daisy ..... :)

- the father is citizen and winemaker in Kirchberg / Murr
- the mother might be a née Vogel (Voglin is the female form), she might be born in Kirchberg / Murr

regards Rudolf
Goldschmidt; Gregory, Maude, Nancy Price, Welby (UK),
Goldschmidt > Goldsmith, Benetta, Bloom, Gillis, McDonough, Moses, Wheaton (Australia / NZ),
Spatz & Henderson (Greater London),
Herbert Spatz MC > H. Spence MC (Salisbury),
Spatz > Spence, Nichols. Kidd (Bromley > Manchester South, India),
Spatz > Spaatz (Boyertown, PA - USA),
Engel & Joly (Philadelphia, PA - USA).
Kummerer (London, Chicago & Australia).

WW1 - Cousins Killed in Action in the Australian, English, French & German Armies

Offline Nick93

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 August 17 05:30 BST (UK) »
Hi all, thank you so much. I'm sorry it took me so long to respond, I lost my password, and it was a very long hard few months for me.

Daisy that's fantastic work, thank you for finding it.

I think this is the right person. :) Same town and birthday. The year is off from his death record, but was that a common thing back in the 1870's, to be a year or so off?

Is his mother's maiden name the one under his father's? Would it be possible to post the full page please so I can see what each category box is?

I'm sorry, my German is very bad since high school, haha. Could anyone translate for me? Rudolf, thanks for noting the occupation of the father.