Author Topic: Alexander David Kerr born Edinburgh 1876/77  (Read 1257 times)

Offline orkrad

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alexander David Kerr born Edinburgh 1876/77
« on: Tuesday 18 October 16 05:28 BST (UK) »
 Hello everyone

I am helping a friend research a very elusive ancestor David Alexander Kerr whose birth we are trying to find. His marriage and death certificates and the birth certs for his children all state he was born in Edinburgh around 1876/77. His parents were Alexander Kerr-occupation stone mason and his mother was Jane/Janet Rennie. The Rennie name is carried down through the descendants so we are fairly sure this name is correct.  So far all searches have been fruitless and lots of money spent chasing phantoms on Scotlands people!

Has anyone any idea where to go from here.?

Thanks in anticipation.

Orkrad.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander David Kerr born Edinburgh 1876/77
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 October 16 07:42 BST (UK) »
I see that in the 1881 census there is an Alexander Rennie, aged 5 (therefore born 1875 or 1876) in Edinburgh with parents Alexander and Jane Rennie.

Could it be that his father died while he was quite young, his mother subsequently married a Mr Kerr, and he himself was a bit confused about whose surname was whose?

Also, it's not unusual for someone to acquire in later life a middle name that isn't on their birth certificate or baptism record.

Could you bear to look up the birth of Alexander Rennie in Midlothian?

Also, (rather a long shot) I see that there is a birth of an Alexander David Thomson, registered in both Newington and St George, in 1877. Might it be worth taking a look at him?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline orkrad

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 October 16 21:47 BST (UK) »
 Thanks Forfarian . I have not been having any joy accessing the new Scotlands people site. It fails to recognise my passwords which I have generated and created with their help. I am tempted to login with a different email but I am  afraid I will lose all my previous searches.  I have contacted them so far without  any reply. If I ever get into the site I will try to get a birth certificate for the Alexander David Kerr you found. I have also found an Ancestry tree online which details  his NZ born children.Yes I know not to rely on such trees but  it transposes his first and middle name calling him David Alexander Kerr with the reference to Select Births and Baptisms Scotland 1564-1950. It is just possible that this might be a fruitful line to follow. Regards Orkrad.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 October 16 02:36 BST (UK) »
The Alexander Rennie referred to by Forfarian was born 7/6/1875 Edinburgh to Alexander Rennie and Jane, nee Moir (or Mair) who married 31/7/1874 Edinburgh so I don't think it is him.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline orkrad

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 October 16 02:37 BST (UK) »
 Thanks Annette and Forfarian. Alexander Kerr still eludes us!

Regards Orkrad