Author Topic: Whiffing, Whiffen, Wiffing Family Haverhill, Suffolk.  (Read 1251 times)

Offline jillyinnes

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Whiffing, Whiffen, Wiffing Family Haverhill, Suffolk.
« on: Tuesday 18 October 16 07:34 BST (UK) »
Hi
Many family trees have attached a Gyles Alington to the above family as follows:

I have Thomas Whiffing b Haverhill, 1723 son of Susan Carter b Haverhill 1695;  Susan is the daughter of Elizabeth King b 1640 Lathenham; Elizabeth's mother was Mary Alington b 1615 and her father is Gyles (or Giles) Alington.

I have tried through Ancestry, Findmypast and Familysearch.org to tie all this together but without success. Can anyone shed any light please.

Thanks
Jill

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
Re: Whiffing, Whiffen, Wiffing Family
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 October 16 11:58 BST (UK) »
Hello Jill,

I have just moved your post here as it had been posted in the wrong place, I was not too sure if I have the right county of Suffolk ? If not I can move it if you can let me know.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jillyinnes

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Whiffing, Whiffen, Wiffing Family
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 October 16 12:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarah

My ancestors came from Haverhill, Suffolk. Is this now the correct site? Living in Australia, I have to rely on Google Maps to try and see where places are so there is every chance I might get in wrong from time to time. Thanks for your help.   8) ??? :o

cheers
Jill

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
Re: Whiffing, Whiffen, Wiffing Family Haverhill, Suffolk.
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 October 16 14:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Jill,

Thanks for confirming I have the correct place  :) Please do not worry if you get the wrong place as posts can easily be moved about ;) Just click on the "report to moderator" button if you ever need help with this.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 October 16 12:36 BST (UK) »
I am wondering if your Whiffing family were dissenters? and that is why they do not show up on parish registers. There are a lot of Whiffing records from the England & Wales, Non-Conformist and Non-Parochial Registers, 1567-1970 for Presbyterian Piece 1844: Haverhill, Old Meeting House (Presbyterian), 1709-1783
Starting at Page 8. If you copy and paste the following web address you may find the ones you are looking for.
http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/2972/40612_B0149141-00015/1076281?backurl=http://person.ancestry.co.uk/tree/16761864/person/28084201352/facts/citation/140167977355/edit/record#?imageId=40612_B0149141-00007

There are some Whiffing twins in 8 Sept 1750 Thomas and Sarah, parents Thomas and Mary Whiffing,
They have daughter Hannah Dec 11 1751,
daughter Sarah Oct 5 1754,
Ann May 20 1756,
Son Samuel 9 Nov 1757,   
John, Jan 26 1759,
Elizabeth 5 Mar 1760
Mary, March 30 1777 daughter of Thomas and Dorothy Whiffing (Did wife Mary die? or is this a different family)
Susan Cratchrode March 1 1779, daughter of Thomas and Dorothy Whiffen

Burt, Cockrill, Craske, Debenham, Double, Grimwade, Grimwood, Hilder, Mayhew, Ray. All from  West Suffolk around the Bury St. Edmunds area.
Simpson, Pittendreigh, Arthur.   Aberdeenshire

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 19 October 16 17:34 BST (UK) »
'Susan is the daughter of Elizabeth King b 1640 Lathenham'. This would probably be Lavenham which is close to Sudbury (7 miles by road)
Burt, Cockrill, Craske, Debenham, Double, Grimwade, Grimwood, Hilder, Mayhew, Ray. All from  West Suffolk around the Bury St. Edmunds area.

Offline jillyinnes

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 March 17 10:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you with your help and my apologies for the lateness of my reply. There are so many avenues to chase with this family and I it has taken me some time to do so. One thing I have discovered is that Thomas (whose wife is Dorothy) is the son of Thomas Whiffin and Mary Whiting. It's an absolute ongoing search which could be on going for years. I appreciate your help.
cheers
Jill

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 20:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jill, all the best with your search. I don't have any Whiffing, Whiffen, Wiffing's on my tree. Mine are Wiffen!! Perhaps related?? They were from Hawstead, West Suffolk (Approx 3 miles South of Bury St Edmunds) in approximately the area of your search. Bridget Wiffen was born 1606 and died 1680. She married John Bixby / Bigsby. The other I have found was also from Hawstead. Elizabeth Wiffen was born in 1703 and died 1779. She also married a Bixby / Bigsby. I have him as Robert Richards Bigsby, 1681-1770 (Also of Hawstead)