Author Topic: Edgerton Cemetery, Huddersfield  (Read 4277 times)

Offline mikechristopher

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Edgerton Cemetery, Huddersfield
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 18 October 16 16:04 BST (UK) »
He would have been Roman Catholic and being a labourer living with another family I doubt he had any estate to pay for it.  I think its likely to be a paupers grave or that of the family that he lived with may have helped.
Nolan, Cremins & O'Connor - County Kerry, Ireland.
Keogh - Queen's County (Laois)
Stack - Limerick & Clare

Offline sandrastocks54

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 18 October 16 18:57 BST (UK) »
If you contact Kirklees Bereavement Services with the section and grave number they should be able to tell you who is buried in the grave and whether there is a headstone.   bereavement.services@kirklees.gov.uk

I wouldn't hold out too much hope though.  I've been in that section of the graveyard and there are very few headstones, it's mainly a grassed area.

If you hear from Kirklees that there's a headstone on the grave, I'll go and take a photo for you.

Sandra

Offline mikechristopher

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 18 October 16 19:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you sandra much appreciated I will give that a try.
Stack - Limerick & Clare

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 18 October 16 19:53 BST (UK) »
Hi

First! my brother died age 7 in a drowning accident in a canal, in 1947, was buried in a grave on his own in Edgerton cemetery and as later deaths in the family were cremations used by my family. Therefore single interment graves do exist.

Head Gardener
The gatehouse,
Edgerton Cemetery
Cemetery road, Huddersfield. HD2 2AA

If you write to the head gardener (a nice chap) by land mail - with all your details with a good size return post, stamped address envelope, he' may help you (unofficially does odd requests). he should be able to send an image by email of a photo-whatever found.- He has all the plot maps with numbers.

Cap in hand approach advisable

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 18 October 16 20:41 BST (UK) »
Just because people are buried in common graves with other un-related people doesn't mean they were paupers and our ancestors would be horrified to think this.

Whilst the cost of an exclusive plot may have been out of financial means for many people, the family would have scrimped and saved and got enough money to have a decent funeral just not the plot.

Even today the cost of burials plots is in the region of £3000, and Kensal Green, one of London's Magnificent Seven charges £15,000 plus fees.

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline mikechristopher

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 18 October 16 22:37 BST (UK) »
I really appreciate all of your help. I have emailed the bereavement services to see if they are able to help if not will give the gardener a go thank you. 

I didn't mean anything untoward by saying a paupers grave I know my ancestors didn't have much money so have no doubt that he worked hard and that was the reason he came to England was to work. A couple of years ago I knew nothing of my father's ancestry so every little bit of information goes to my heart. It's just a shame that I never got to know him as a person rather than just the name on paper. It's nice to read the stories and see photos just to try and piece every little thing together.
Stack - Limerick & Clare

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 19 October 16 14:15 BST (UK) »
I phoned the (Fixby) Huddersfield crematorium (cemeteries record dept) for plot maps

There is no Gravestone for Andrew Nolan 1941 Uncon sect 19R number 119 grave

I'll pop in and see the gardener at Edgerton cem the next time I pass it and photo the approx area of the unmarked grave location for you.

Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline mikechristopher

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 19 October 16 14:17 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for checking for me - I really appreciate that! Its sad to know there is no headstone but in the essence I am happy as know where he is buried which was the important thing. 

Thank you!

Regards,
Mike
Stack - Limerick & Clare

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 19 October 16 17:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for checking for me - I really appreciate that! Its sad to know there is no headstone but in the essence I am happy as know where he is buried which was the important thing. 

Thank you!

Regards,
Mike

PS

After the 1930's depression and nearly everybody were paupers on rationing WW 2 till the mid 1950's