Author Topic: Local Newspaper for Tranmere, Birkenhead 1906  (Read 811 times)

Offline marthaannie

• RootsChat Senior
  • marthaannie
    • View Profile
Local Newspaper for Tranmere, Birkenhead 1906
« on: Tuesday 18 October 16 10:22 BST (UK) »
Hello
Elizabeth Gwillim of 3 Ebenezer Street, Tranmere,died 12th May 1906 Aged 65 years, buried 15th May 1906.
Elizabeth is buried with her father Thomas Gwillim at Overleigh Old Cemetery, Chester.
I have checked the Chronicle and Observer at Chester Record Office in case the death was listed, no report.
Would anyone have access to the local newspaper for Tranmere and look if there is a report for the death of Elizabeth?
Thank you, marthaannie

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Local Newspaper for Tranmere, Birkenhead 1906
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 October 16 11:05 BST (UK) »
It might be worth checking the Liverpool papers but I don't think there are any online yet for that time period.

Wirral archives has some bound copies of Birkenhead and Wallasey papers for ranges including 1906: 
https://www.wirral.gov.uk/libraries-and-archives/wirral-archives-service/documents-we-hold/local-newspapers

Elizabeth is listed  in Gore's 1900 Liverpool directory as Elizabeth Gwilliam, general dealer, 3 Ebenezer Street, Rock Ferry. 

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline marthaannie

• RootsChat Senior
  • marthaannie
    • View Profile
Re: Local Newspaper for Tranmere, Birkenhead 1906
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 October 16 10:28 BST (UK) »
Hello ShaunJ
Thank you for the website for the Wirral newspapers, a large collection available to view.  Also for the information listing Elizabeth as a General Dealer in Gore's 1900 Liverpool Directory.
I will check with Liverpool Library on my next visit.
Thomas, father of Elizabeth, was a Farm Bailiff and was still working at 76yrs when he fell ill on a working day.  Fortunately, I have found several newspaper reports on Thomas, perhaps I will get lucky with Elizabeth  :)
marthaannie