Author Topic: Family History Software for Mac  (Read 3878 times)

Offline linda51

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Family History Software for Mac
« on: Tuesday 18 October 16 11:51 BST (UK) »
Can anyone recommend a FH programme which runs on a Mac? Preferably something free of charge - and something I can easily download. At present using Legacy Family Tree on Windows 8 but looking to change over to Apple.

Thanks in advance.

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
Re: Family History Software for Mac
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 October 16 12:36 BST (UK) »
G’day Linda51,

I don’t know of any reasonable free programs for Mac, certainly none that would have the features of Legacy or the other leading commercial programs.

But it depends what you want in a program. Have a look at the reviews at Top 10 Reviews for Mac (although they are a bit out of date - check the vendor’s websites as well): http://www.toptenreviews.com/software/home/best-mac-genealogy-software/

The other (big) consideration is in transferring your data. Any modern program will transfer your basic data fairly well. But if you have meticulous source citations you may find that a new program will mangle that part of your data. And if you have a lot of media items you’ll find that there is as yet no standard method for transferring those; you may have to manually re-attach all your media. (It’s not a matter of transferring from PC to Mac, it’s because the standards (gedcom) for labelling genealogy data are older than the features now available in the programs - the new features therefore aren’t part of the standards).

Have a look at this thread and the related links:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=757371.0

Cheers,
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline linda51

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 October 16 13:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much Peter. You've certainly given me more to think about. At first glance Reunion looks good - shame about the price tag, but worth it to leave Windows behind!

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 October 16 21:24 BST (UK) »
I've used a Mac for the whole of the 21st century and Reunion for the whole time I've been researching so I've neither experience with transferring from one piece of software to another nor able to compare the facilities in Reunion with other FH programmes. I have no complaints about the software and had an email from them the other day letting me know of a recent free upgrade.

Upgrading from earlier to later versions of Reunion has been painless and the Gedcom files it produces upload easily into Ancestry. I've also found that the occasions I've emailed the software producers for compatibility advice has elicited a prompt response.

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 October 16 21:47 BST (UK) »
I've only every used a Mac for both work and genealogy. The only FH programme I've ever used has been Reunion. Initially it was just about the only reliable genealogy software you could get for a Mac. It seems expensive but I've never had any problems with it and it upgrades easily. I'm still using v9 and see that v10 and now v11 are available. The Reunion Web Store gives the price as $99 for the download or CD of Reunion 11 (requires Mac OS X version 10.6 or newer).

I've never had any complaints about Reunion but like anything, it takes a while to get used to. I'm not aware of any free FH programmes for a Mac but haven't looked for them either.

My first Reunion programme was a birthday present - Christmas is coming up - why not drop some hints to family  ;)

Good thing I saw this topic because now I'm going to start dropping some hints for the v11 upgrade  ;D

sami
England:  Archer, Bailey, Bates, Blower, Bosworth, Court, Hicklin, Orton, Palmer, Robbins, Sedgwick, Smith, Stevenson, Stone, Varnam, Wakelin, Walker
Canada:  Archer, Walker, Spencer, Shepherd
Australia:  Taplin
South Africa:  Risley

Offline Old Bristolian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stephen Bumstead 1844-1903
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 October 16 21:50 BST (UK) »
Have a look at Legacy too - it's a good deal cheaper than Reunion and I like the way it synchs easily to my iPad and iPhone

Steve
Bumstead - London, Suffolk
Plant, Woolnough, Wase, Suffolk
Flexney, Godfrey, Burson, Hobby -  Oxfordshire
Street, Mitchell - Gloucestershire
Horwood, Heale Drew - Bristol
Gibbs, Gait, Noyes, Peters, Padfield, Board, York, Rogers, Horler, Heale, Emery, Clavey, Mogg, - Somerset
Fook, Snell - Devon
M(a)cDonald, Yuell, Gollan, McKenzie - Rosshire
McLennan, Mackintosh - Inverness
Williams, Jones - Angelsey & Caernarvon
Campbell, McMartin, McLellan, McKercher, Perthshire

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 19 October 16 09:05 BST (UK) »
Have a look at Legacy too - it's a good deal cheaper than Reunion and I like the way it synchs easily to my iPad and iPhone

Steve

Reunion also has a similar iPad/iPhone app. but I've never used it.

Offline linda51

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 19 October 16 18:04 BST (UK) »

Steve

I was under the impression that Legacy was only compatible with Windows?

Offline T'YeadonKid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 29 December 16 12:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Linda51,
My two penneth on Mac FH software. Have you tried Gramps? First sight is bit techy but stick with it and it gets easier.