Author Topic: 1901 or 1911 barracks census in cork  (Read 3175 times)

Offline kwickme

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1901 or 1911 barracks census in cork
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 20 October 16 11:46 BST (UK) »
i am trying to work out when robert  changed to benjamin. if it was when he left the army,or was still in the army. because benjamin is down as serving in cork. yet in 1911 census of cork he is down as married to the same person as benjamin joseph. trying to work out how he could have gone on as two different people and for how long. the only death i can find is for benjamin nothing for a robert.i have being told that he was down as benjamin serving in india.no mention of any army service for a robert whitehead.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 20 October 16 12:30 BST (UK) »
The difficulty is that we can't account for someone else's actions. We speculate on what is available.

If I recall, a man would need permission to marry from the army. Perhaps that had some bearing on the matter although he does state that he is a soldier on the marriage record.
They married in November 1908 and child Robert was born April 1909 - perhaps circumstances determined a speedy marriage. If so, again, permission may not have been sought so marriage under a different name could be the solution.
As he only uses the name Robert on his marriage, children's births and census, it could be assumed that the name was used for a short period only to suit his circumstances at the time.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kwickme

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 20 October 16 12:39 BST (UK) »
yes it would seem thats the case . i cant see any other reason for it.