Author Topic: Sir Henry Bridges, Knight. Family connection needs clarification.  (Read 2101 times)

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sir Henry Bridges, Knight. Family connection needs clarification.
« on: Tuesday 18 October 16 19:14 BST (UK) »
Hi.
  I'm trying to fill in some family background for my GGG grandfather's brother, the Rev. Edward Richards, born Lledrod, Cardiganshire in circa 1763. Edward married Mary Bridges in July 1800 when he was the curate of St. Martins of Tours in Epsom. They had 9 children and lived at Church St. Epsom.
  I do have  some pencilled details for Mary but haven't been able to identify her parents. (Sir Henry Bridges, Knight, was a witness to Edward's will in 1833, along with Jonathan Eades; they owned the Gunpowder Mills in the Ewell area). Sir Henry was born in1786, Mary was born in 1776 so they could have been siblings. Another note I made states that, at marriage in 1800, Mary had inherited her father's estate, "Charlwood", (as well as her sister's estate).
 Can anyone fill in the blanks as to who her parents were and her relationship to Sir Henry.
Richards in Anglesey. Liverpool, Cardiganshire.
Richards in Patagonia and Canada. Owens and Williams in Holyhead. Laird family, Birkenhead. Richards-Bridges family, Epsom.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sir Henry Bridges, Knight. Family connection needs clarification.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 October 16 19:32 BST (UK) »
The bequest of land at Charlwood to Mary Bridges is in the PCC will of Alexander Bridges, gun powder merchant of Ewell, proved in 1798.

( There's also a PCC will for his father Alexander who died in 1780)
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 October 16 19:40 BST (UK) »
There are baptisms at Ewell St Mary's for various children of Alexander & Mary Bridges, including Mary (4/1/1776) and Henry (22/2/1786)
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 October 16 20:11 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your input Shaun.
 If I read it correctly, Alexander (D1798) and his wife Mary, were the parents of, among others, Sir Henry and Mary Richards.
 Edwards' marriage to Mary directly impacted the fortunes of the Richards family in many ways. Thanks to her fortune he was able to purchase 6 farms in the Lledrod area, a farm in Anglesey for his brother James and purchased the release from Debtor's Prison of the son-in-law of his other brother, the Rev. John Richards of Llanerchymedd.
                           Hurrah for Gunpowder I say!

Richards in Anglesey. Liverpool, Cardiganshire.
Richards in Patagonia and Canada. Owens and Williams in Holyhead. Laird family, Birkenhead. Richards-Bridges family, Epsom.

Offline Robbridges

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile