Author Topic: Find a Grave  (Read 1377 times)

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Find a Grave
« on: Tuesday 18 October 16 22:03 BST (UK) »
Anyone had information taken by Find a Grave without permission? I found out via an Ancestry tree hint that burial information had been entered on Find a Grave that comes from one of my websites. The Find a Grave website contains not just burial information but bios and relationships. They have made a number of mistakes in the process of copying my research and have ignored my e-mails. Some of the entries merely guess that they are buried in a particular cemetery. Some of the family are buried in that particular cemetery but not all. Are they creating a monster over there or what?

Blue

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Find a Grave
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 October 16 22:22 BST (UK) »
I would imagine that anyone who has an accessible family history website means that information contained on it would be available to copy?  I believe there is something you can do to prevent copying and pasting but of course people can still write down information and place it elsewhere.

It depends on how much you mind about the information being taken from your website.  Regrettably there are people who use the information elsewhere and don't bother to make sure that they have correctly copied it.  I would regard it as polite to acknowledge from where the information was obtained so anyone else can double check if they wish to do so.

I'm not overly familiar with the Find a Grave website.  I have used it a few times but never found anyone I was looking for on it. 

Personally I would shrug my shoulders and say well if they can't be bothered to be accurate with their copying then so be it.  I know that my information is correct and I am happy with that and just leave it be.

(Didn't intend to make all that bold, not familiar with how to use the symbols on here!)
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 October 16 00:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Girl Guide

The buttons for formatting text can be found above the reply box, B for Bold (what you have used), I for Italic, U for underline and S for strikethrough

If you dont want to use the buttons, [ b] followed by [ /b] for Bold, etc
(I had to put an extra space in to stop the formatting starting)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 October 16 00:51 BST (UK) »
I wouldn't mind information being put on Findagrave if I have placed it in the public arena.  But I'd be unhappy if they made mistakes in doing so.

I do wish though that people who have made entries on Findagrave would correct them when they become aware of further information that contradicts the entry.

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 October 16 03:03 BST (UK) »
I think if you join Find A Grave you can upgrade memorials. Whether that means you can delete them or not ?

Offline sarra

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 19 October 16 03:42 BST (UK) »
Perhaps you should point them to -

Findagrave Terms of Service - https://www.findagrave.com/terms.html

3. User Provided Content

Sarra