Author Topic: help with Welsh newspaper article which references American Civil War veteran  (Read 1358 times)

Offline mattscar75

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi,
I would appreciate some help with an article I found with some of my wife's ancestors mentioned. The article is from the newspaper Seren Cymru dated 8th September 1865. The article is titled "Taith Deg Wythos Trwy'r Gorllewin". This article talks about a Captain Williams who was a nephew or cousin of Dr. William Williams of Crynant who had died a year previous in Wisconsin. This Dr. William Williams was married to Amab Herbert was the son of Rev. Morris Williams (born 1732 died 1799) minister of Ghodre Rhos near Ystradgynlais. Dr. William Williams was a resident of Ynysybont near Crynant and had a son named Dr. John Williams who apparently was well known in that area near Neath, Glamorgan who is mentioned in the article. So far from all I have read Dr. William Williams is the only son ever referenced to Rev. Morris Williams.  I am hoping if I could understand this article better it might lead me to more descendants Rev. Morris Williams. Any help with this article and or more information about the individuals I have mentioned in the post would be sincerely appreciated.

Matt Arnold

Offline pinot

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: help with Welsh newspaper article which references American Civil War veteran
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 October 16 01:59 BST (UK) »
I shall cease now, while giving some history of a man you will be interested in reading about, with a little of the background of his two nephews, namely Mr Williams. He is here called Dr Williams; but he does not practise at all. Mr Williams is the brother of Mr John Williams, Doctor Crinant, as he is known by all. I met D. M. Williams, a young man, a nephew of Mr Williams, and a son of Doctor Crinant, of Heolyfelin, Aberdare, in Bangor, the week before last. He has been in the army; he enlisted as a common soldier, but to his own credit, and to the great satisfaction of the Welsh, he became a Captain in Sherman's army by the end of the war. So you will see that I have met Captain Williams of the 17th Wisconsin regiment; but not too great a man to shake hands with Sam Ty'nywaun. Had to go with him on a 5-mile journey to the farm of his uncle, Mr Williams, where I spent a day shooting prairie chickens. But this is what is worth reporting; I met Mr Williams, and another brother of Captain Williams, namely David Williams. Dafydd [David] is a young man who has earned respect in his profession equal to Captain Butler. Mr or Doctor Williams owns a farm, harvesting about three thousand bushels of wheat a year; he keeps 12 horses, 33 cows, 500 sheep, 30 pigs, 9 children and thousands of prairie chickens. I was treated with the greatest respect there. Mr and Mrs Williams and their children repeatedly wished to be remembered to Mr and Mrs Williams of Aberdare.
                                           Yours, etc