Author Topic: Lyall of Dundee  (Read 661 times)

Offline Suzy W

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The only way forward is backwards
    • View Profile
Lyall of Dundee
« on: Tuesday 18 October 16 22:27 BST (UK) »
Hi all

I am still at a loss with finding the birth parents of my William Lyall born 1830.  According to the family bible he was born 11 March 1830 Dundee, and reported father William Lyall a Weaver.

Scotland's people don't seem to have his birth.  Yet I found a death for a William Lyall 1838 a Weaver from Dundee aged 60.  This could be my William's father, a little old I know, but you never know back then.

It is said William born 1830 was a orphan as a young lad, so maybe the other William could be his father.  I have no idea on who could his mother be.

In 1841 William may of been living with the Whitton family.  By 1851 he is married to Mary Milne.

The family moved to New Zealand.

Some of their children took on names from other family members like Milne, Smith, Stewart, Robertson, and most puzzling Patellow.  We thought maybe Williams mother's maiden name could of been Patellow, still a dead end.

It is also said the family may of had the name spelt differently at times before falling upon Lyall.  Other names like D'Lyall,  L'Isle Lyel etc.  I have tried searching for these names as well.  Still nothing.

Any other ideas on finding Williams birth and parents would be most useful.

Thanks
Suzy W
TEW family of Leire/Leicester and New Zealand
MERRICKS of Stafford/Birmingham
PENTECOST of Surrey and New Zealand
POTENTIER of France, England and Canada
WATKINS of London and New Zealand
WHITAKER of Guiseley Yorkshire and New Zealand
LYALL, of Dundee, Caithness and New Zealand

And far too many to add