Author Topic: Henry Dowling and the 1840s emigration to Tasmania and Victoria.  (Read 1478 times)

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Henry Dowling and the 1840s emigration to Tasmania and Victoria.
« on: Wednesday 19 October 16 12:40 BST (UK) »
I am researching families who left Suffolk to settle in Tasmania and Victoria in the early 1840s. Many seem to have been influenced by Henry Dowling who had married a Colchester girl before travelling with his father, Rev Henry Dowling (a Baptist Minister) to Tasmania.
My personal interests lie with the Hilder family and the Challis family from Cockfield and surrounding area, as several of their family emigrated to Tasmania and Victoria. (Also possible links to the Snell/Eley thread, which is current). However if anyone has any info about other families who emigrated to these parts as a result of Dowling’s endeavours I would be very happy to hear about it.

A part of what I know is:-   In 1839 Dowling proceeded to England, having received the appointment of Immigration Agent for Tasmania, in which capacity he was the means of introducing into the colony many settlers.
The ‘Launceston Examiner’ of 18 Sep 1885 as part of Henry Dowling’s obituary says… ‘In 1838 the Government entered into arrangements with Mr. Dowling to proceed to England as Immigration Agent for the colony, and Mr.Dowling left for the mother country with his family early in 1839, remaining at home between three and four years. Some of the best immigrants who came to Tasmania were selected by him, and we find amongst them the names of now well-known families in the north, such as Addison, Bramich, Saunders, Roe, Hutchins, Stone, Silver, Pickford, and others.’
Richard Hilder, (son of Thomas Hilder) of Emu Bay (Now Burnie, Tasmania) writes about his father:-
“The decision to immigrate was greatly influenced by a clergyman, Rev H. Dowling who pointed out the advantages to young men, of a free life in Van Dieman's Land, where "Free Settlers" and farm workers were badly needed in the Island Colony.
Four young men, Thomas Hilder, Charles Sparrow, James Ashman and William Meadows were so impressed by Rev Dowling, they decided to go to Van Dieman's Land as free labourers, and arranged in England a three year contract to Captain Whiting, whose estate was at Kelso Bay, River Tamar, Van Dieman's Land. The fixed yearly salaries for the four young men were £20 for the first year, £30 for the second, and £20 for the third. The salaries carried with them free passage from England, and board and lodging for the term of the contract. Thomas emigrated on The Indian, under Captain Carr which sailed from England two days before the Arab, on the 25th of November 1841, but arrived a few days later, on April 06.  The Indian was a brig of 276 tons.
“The Arab has brought out a large number of immigrants, chiefly agricultural labourers, selected in England by the friends of those colonists to whom the servants are indentured, and shipped under the superintendence of Mr. Dowling. There are 205 men, women, and children. Three children died on the passage, and five were born on board the Arab. In looking over the applications for a free passage sent to the Land and Emigration Commissioners, we were gratified to find that not one of the applicants had been in the receipt of parish relief. Their robust healthy appearance reflect great credit on those who selected and those who have had the care of them; and we have no doubt they will be found a valuable acquisition to the colony”.
Burt, Cockrill, Craske, Debenham, Double, Grimwade, Grimwood, Hilder, Mayhew, Ray. All from  West Suffolk around the Bury St. Edmunds area.
Simpson, Pittendreigh, Arthur.   Aberdeenshire

Offline ruthel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Dowling and the 1840s emigration to Tasmania and Victoria.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 January 17 04:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello.  I'm interested in finding out where Henry Dowling recruited from, and I wonder if you might be able to help?  I'm looking for the antecedents of a 27yo domestic servant called Susan Roach who arrived with him and his family in Launceston in November 1843 on the Henry, as part of the Bounty Scheme. (I'm a bit miffed to see that females received a bounty of £18 while males received £19 - I'm sure the women worked just as hard as the men AND they bore children . . .  :) )   I'm assuming he recruited her, along with some others on that vessel.   I have other information that indicates she was from Cornwall, which of course is the other side of England from Colchester.  Do you have any records of where and how Henry Dowling recruited?  Cheers, Ruth
LAVERY Hugh, from Armagh to Vic Australia in 1861
CHAPMAN William and Elizabeth née HOPE, arrived in South Australia before 1842 from ?
MARKS Augustus Gustave, born 1858 Bergen Norway, arrived Port Augusta South Australia before 1885