Author Topic: X c'some confusion, please help!  (Read 2194 times)

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
Re: X c'some confusion, please help!
« Reply #9 on: Friday 21 October 16 10:10 BST (UK) »
A question may seem sillyto experts  Annie ..but alwys.helps those who are afraid to ask

people on here have a wonderful way of putting things simply look forward to hearing the answer
it sounds like an algebra problem to me
 " if   X  x ? = Whopping  great   
what is the possibility of  Her matching him "

sorry if flippancy offends anyone 
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Spike H

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 21 October 16 10:49 BST (UK) »
Unless it's a whopping great big matching segment I'd not make any assumptions about which side it is from.  30cM is quite large, so it may well be a maternal match.

As a DNA newbie, I'd be interested to know how big a segment has to be to be considered a "whopping great big one" (I know that sounds silly but it's a genuine question!)

ta  :)
We each get 50% of our DNA from each of our parents. But, we don't get 25% from each of our grandparents. Our parents recombine each of their given chromosomes before they pass them on to their children. There is a randomness about this, and no two siblings (except for identical twins) get exactly the same DNA from their parents. Each chromosome recombines either once, twice or three times. Four lots of recombination would be rare as would be a zero recombination, ie the chromosome being handed down intact.
If you did get a chromosome intact from a grandparent, one could probably (if one must) describe that as a "whopping great big one". But other than that I don't think there is an exact definition. After all, and to keep with the flippancy theme, size is relative.

UK: Lee, Swift
CON: Davey, Harding, Hocking, Rule, Whinnen
AUST: McIntosh

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 21 October 16 21:35 BST (UK) »

As a DNA newbie, I'd be interested to know how big a segment has to be to be considered a "whopping great big one" (I know that sounds silly but it's a genuine question!)

ta  :)

It's the next size up from "quite long".  ;)

I've just been looking over at Gedmatch at some relatives' kits, but none of them should be X-matches (apart from some siblings). 

For these kits (excluding the siblings) in a one-to-many X-chromosome search the longest X-matches for any of these kits is around 30cM.  There's only two or three other kits with matching segments on the X as long as this.

Most of the X-matches are not autosomal matches.