Author Topic: James HAYMAN ( b 1851- Devon). Missing in 1881  (Read 1333 times)

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James HAYMAN ( b 1851- Devon). Missing in 1881
« on: Wednesday 19 October 16 17:29 BST (UK) »
James HAYMAN was born in March 1851, in Staverton, Devon. In February 1871 he married Mary Ann Blackler (b June 1838, Broadhempston) - his first cousin, 13 years his senior and a unmarried mother of daughters aged 10 and 5. A son, William, was born in Oct 1871.

In 1866 James, aged 15, had enlisted in the Royal Navy and in 1869 signed for a 10 years engagement. I have found no record of his service beyond  1874.

A daughter, Mabel, was born in  1879, and her sister, Bertha, in January , 1881. His address at that time was Lemon Road, Newton Abbot, and his occupation "tanner's labourer". At the time of the 1881 census Mary Ann was living, as "Head",  at Lemon Road with her children with no sign of James. The family were together again in 1891.

At around 1892 James deserted his family in favour of Norah Melville (Honorah Mulvihill bapt Feb 1860, Listowell, Kerry) and went to live in Wales. They eventually married in 1912. Interestingly, I have been unable to trace Norah in 1881.

Where was James in 1881? Had he gone back to sea in some capacity or were he and Norah already engaged in some form of alliance? Any trace of either, or both, will be much appreciated.

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: James HAYMAN ( b 1851- Devon). Missing in 1881
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 October 16 00:06 BST (UK) »
Hi have you seen Hanora Mulvihill in 1861 with parents in redruth cornwall age 1 born Ireland.
Her siblings John , Ellen & Margaret were all born in redruth all older than Hanorah.  Cannot locate the Mulvihill family in later censuses so I wonder did they return to Ireland.
There is a record in Ireland in Griffiths Valuation for Hanoras father Timothy Mulvihill in 1851 in Listowel as a small landholder.

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 October 16 08:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks, I have seen the 1861 record. I have found no entry on Free BMD that I can recognise as confirming the birth of the three older children in Cornwall. The birth and death of a Patrick Mulveal was registered in Redruth in March 1859 which might be connected. Perhaps a weakly Bridget went home to be cared for by her family during her pregnancy with Honorah.

In 1871 the family, now Melville,  was living in Gwennap, Cornwall. Timothy died in 1880 and in 1881 Bridget and her children were living in Redruth. Honorah/Norah was absent.

In 1891, Nora, aged 31 and single, was a housemaid  in Torquay. Perhaps her single status may have been because she was already in a committed relationship with James.

Offline Jeanette White

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 October 17 17:58 BST (UK) »
Hi.  I just read your information re: James and Mary Hayman.  James Hayman was my gg-grandfather.  My g-grandfather was William Henry Hayman who married Ada Emma and later Alice Fuller. Thanks for the information on them.

Offline Jeanette White

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 October 17 18:06 BST (UK) »
I was just reading the marriage license of my g-grandfather William Henry Hayman to my g-grandmother (in 1901) and his father James, is listed as deceased, but his occupation was Builder Contractor. Hope this helps you.

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 21 October 17 09:54 BST (UK) »
According to his marriage certificate, William  Henry  Hayman was a bachelor when he married  Alice Gertrude Fuller (birth name Rooke) in May 1905. He described his father as  a master mariner, a complete fabrication.

I know nothing about an earlier marriage. William  served in the Royal Navy  1891-1903. How does that match with what you have?