Author Topic: Where is Fair Hill in County Galway?  (Read 4988 times)

Offline Bairbre

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where is Fair Hill in County Galway?
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 05:15 GMT (UK) »
Here's a link that might be helpful to Audley/Adley reseachers http://www.audleyfamilyhistory.com/audley-family-trees/audley-families-m-to-o
Michael Adley and parents Thomas and Kate are mentioned in "Family MD1"

Bairbre

Offline Deesider

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 20:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Barbre,

Many thanks for your reply. Unfortunately the link to www.audleyfamilyhistory.com  does not help me as I am the owner of the website.

I am currently trying to review and update 'Audley Family M' of Galway, Ireland.  I managed identify a birth registration that I was previously unaware of and that mentioned 'Fair Hill' as the place where the individual was born..

In looking on the internet I had found Fairhill Road in the City of Galway but there is also a townland called Fairhill in County Galway well away from Galway City see https://www.townlands.ie/galway/tiaquin/killoscobe/mounthazel/fairhill/#area

My problem was in which Fairhill did the birth take place. With the link to Claddagh this indicates that the birth took place in Fairhill Road, Galway City.

Regards
The Wirral Way

Offline Bairbre

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 19 January 17 04:27 GMT (UK) »
Fairhill, Mounthazel, is in the registrar district of Mountbellew, in the union of Mountbellew, in the county of Galway.
Fairhill in the Claddagh is in the registrar district of Galway no.2, in the union of Galway, in the county Galway.  ;D

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 19 January 17 08:18 GMT (UK) »

Fairhill, Mounthazel, is in the registrar district of Mountbellew, in the union of Mountbellew, in the county of Galway.
Fairhill in the Claddagh is in the registrar district of Galway no.2, in the union of Galway, in the county Galway.  ;D

The following link shows an OSI map that predates 1877 by several decades, but you can see a reference to the Claddagh (pan NW to see the rest of Galway) and you can see the references to Fair Hill to the south (select 'STREET MAP' or slide the 'Overlay' bar over to the right hand side of the screen to see the area on a modern street map):

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V2,529343,724364,10,7

Hence, presumably, the references to 'Here's a toast to you Claddagh at the foot of Fairhill'.  Above the 6th postcard (of the Claddagh) in the following link is a reference 'This looks to be near the top of Fairhill as you can see the bay in the distance':

https://oldgalwaypics.sharepoint.com/Pages/Claddagh.aspx

There are other internet references implying that Fairhill was / is more than a street, rather that it was / is an area in the Claddagh, is that correct?

Offline Bairbre

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 19 January 17 14:37 GMT (UK) »
There are other internet references implying that Fairhill was / is more than a street, rather that it was / is an area in the Claddagh, is that correct?

That is correct! The Claddagh village existed long before the Anglo-Norman town of Galway. The Claddagh was at the foot of Fairhill and on the west bank of the river Corrib with the town on the east bank.
The Claddagh village was demolished in the 1930s, and a new housing estate was built for the residents, in the Claddagh and Fairhill area, hence Fairhill becoming a road in the Claddagh of today. But I still hear people referr to Fairhill today as if it's still separate from the Claddagh. It's a local thing :)

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 19 January 17 15:59 GMT (UK) »
That's cleared that up nicely and very useful for folk coming upon this topic in the future. Thankyou.  :)

Offline Deesider

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 19 January 17 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bairbre and Gaffy,

Many thanks for your further comments.

To me the key piece of information is Bairbre's comment that Fair Hill in Claddagh is in Galway Registration District No 2. As Galway Registration District No2 is stated on the birth registration document I have a copy of. This confirms that I am looking at Fairhill, Calddagh for the birth registration, rather  than the townland of Fairhill near Mountbellew

Thanks for your help
Regards
The Wirral Way

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 19 January 17 20:27 GMT (UK) »
It is, but what I was trying to get at was clarification to address the point you raised at reply #10, namely:

'So If Fair Hill is a Street in Galway Town there were a lot of births in that Street'

We now know that it was more than that, thanks to Bairbre.

Offline Deesider

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 20 January 17 19:42 GMT (UK) »
Gaffy,
I totally agree with what you say

The Wirral Way