Author Topic: Proper address where Emma was born in Langholm  (Read 4852 times)

Offline lanercost

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Proper address where Emma was born in Langholm
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 29 October 16 12:43 BST (UK) »
Very odd. In the overlay that I've done below,  the only diffs seem to be buildings behind on either side (uncoloured - shaded).

The 1861 census is the only free online census that have house numbers (Free cen) 1841 doesn't have numbers.  1861 shows 1-17 Kirk Wynd.

Still doesn't help Betty though  :-\

Gadget

I'll guess the enumerator was just numbering the houses as he got to them. I had a 4th great grandmother die here in 1890 and still no numbers for her death certificate.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 29 October 16 13:40 BST (UK) »
I've found the only obvious painter in Kirkwynd in the period that the Evanses were there. It could be that there is a link.

A David Reid, painter, was the occupier of a house on West side of KW in 1876,1877 and 1878, between George Scott and John Keddie.

In 1871, he was a boarder at Towkers Close and b, Hawick.

He's on the 1881 census at 3 Kirkwynd, married with 4 children (aged 1-8). Occ - painter (journeyman). 

By 1891, he'd moved around the corner to Back Drove Road.

Gadget

added - George Evans doesn't appear in any of the available  valuation Rolls 1876, 1877, 1878. Nothing for 1879, so could be he was sub-letting and/or his occupier status was not declared.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline bettyespana

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Gt Grandmother-Margaret Dickenson
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 29 October 16 13:53 BST (UK) »
I've found the only obvious painter in Kirkwynd in the period that the Evanses were there. It could be that there is a link.

A David Reid, painter, was the occupier of a house on West side of KW in 1876,1877 and 1878, between George Scott and John Keddie.

In 1871, he was a boarder at Towkers Close and b, Hawick.

He's on the 1881 census at 3 Kirkwynd, married with 4 children (aged 1-8). Occ - painter (journeyman). 

By 1891, he'd moved around the corner to Back Drove Road.

Gadget

That is interesting,George Evans would also have had 4 children similar ages when Emma was born in 1879.I wonder if he was living in No.3 prior to David Reid.
I do know that the family was at Rayston Court  St Cuthberts Without,Carlisle in 1881c
RG11/5155 f.36,p.13
By 1891c they were back in Lancashire @ Ellesmere Street Hulme.George died 1893 Salford.
Betty 
Lancashire- Moss,Broadbent,Olley,Dobson,Dickenson,
Norfolk-Olley,Knowles,Bunn,Pooley,Scott,Vince
Caithness & Dumfries - Evans,Sinclair,Mackay
Belfast-Antrim - Mackay,Connor,Bunting
Liverpool,Wigan & Southport - Ball,Taylor
Isle of Man - Harp,Dougherty
Cheshire - Dickenson
Knighton,Radnorshire - Evans, Broadhurst
Caithness - Sinclair

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 29 October 16 14:02 BST (UK) »
Got a few more search ideas, Betty, but have to be out this afternoon.

David's son John was born at KW in January 1978 and your Emma was Nov 1879. What a pity there's no Valuation Roll for there in 1879  :-\

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline bettyespana

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 29 October 16 20:36 BST (UK) »
Got a few more search ideas, Betty, but have to be out this afternoon.

David's son John was born at KW in January 1978 and your Emma was Nov 1879. What a pity there's no Valuation Roll for there in 1879  :-\

Gadget

Ok Gadget,I will watch this space.I have noted a little error in Johns birth I am sure it wasn't 1978!
yes I know we can all make little mistakes ha! ha!
Cheshire - Dickenson
Caithness - Sinclair

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 29 October 16 20:56 BST (UK) »
 ;D

Too many 1s and 8s and 7s and 9s. My usual mistakes are with letters rather than numbers. I touch type but my left hand is stonger than my right and on my little laptop, I tend to get the left hand letters of the keyboard first!

So far I've only found a couple of newspaper refs to David Reid - one in the early 1870s when he was in Hawick. I paraphrase - David Reid, a painter from Langholm was pulled from the Teviot, face down, in a state of inebriation. And later in mid 1880s, again a wee bit drunk!.

George Scott and John Keddie seem to have stayed in KW only briefly, as far as I can make out.

Gadget 

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 30 October 16 00:22 BST (UK) »
Also intrigued by croft numbers, Annie,  as  they seemed to be fairly static in the Wester Ross community that I looked at - only changes were when neighburing crofts were acquired and then they would be given as a range - say 123- 128, etc.

Yes it's confusing as normally it would be Rent Roll no's which went with them when they moved  ::)

Sometimes people moved to crofts already inhabited i.e shared so croft 253 would be split to either 254 (which is strange as you would think they would run in a row with the no's) or it would become 253a.

There are other divisions where croft no. 353 is part of croft no. 331 & croft no. 354 is part of croft 338 becoming croft no. 338/354
EDIT Person in the above division originally lived at croft 354 i.e. an e.g. of croft no. going with them  ::)

This is taken from the area of Boisdale, South Uist, Inverness-shire.

Annie

Added, Just to confirm what I was initially referring to.
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline bettyespana

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 30 October 16 06:44 GMT (UK) »
;D

Too many 1s and 8s and 7s and 9s. My usual mistakes are with letters rather than numbers. I touch type but my left hand is stonger than my right and on my little laptop, I tend to get the left hand letters of the keyboard first!

So far I've only found a couple of newspaper refs to David Reid - one in the early 1870s when he was in Hawick. I paraphrase - David Reid, a painter from Langholm was pulled from the Teviot, face down, in a state of inebriation. And later in mid 1880s, again a wee bit drunk!.

George Scott and John Keddie seem to have stayed in KW only briefly, as far as I can make out.

Gadget
Sounds like quite a character does David Reid.
I also used to have the same trouble when I had my small laptop however it recently died & has been replaced with an ideapad which is slightly bigger.29cm I love it.
Betty
Cheshire - Dickenson
Caithness - Sinclair

Offline bettyespana

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 30 October 16 06:47 GMT (UK) »
Also intrigued by croft numbers, Annie,  as  they seemed to be fairly static in the Wester Ross community that I looked at - only changes were when neighburing crofts were acquired and then they would be given as a range - say 123- 128, etc.

Yes it's confusing as normally it would be Rent Roll no's which went with them when they moved  ::)

Sometimes people moved to crofts already inhabited i.e shared so croft 253 would be split to either 254 (which is strange as you would think they would run in a row with the no's) or it would become 253a.

There are other divisions where croft no. 353 is part of croft no. 331 & croft no. 354 is part of croft 338 becoming croft no. 338/354
EDIT Person in the above division originally lived at croft 354 i.e. an e.g. of croft no. going with them  ::)

This is taken from the area of Boisdale, South Uist, Inverness-shire.

Annie

Added, Just to confirm what I was initially referring to.

My goodness whatever were they thinking about.All looks double dutch.
Betty
Cheshire - Dickenson
Caithness - Sinclair