Author Topic: Creepy goings on.  (Read 9169 times)

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Creepy goings on.
« Reply #9 on: Friday 21 October 16 14:09 BST (UK) »
What are the "creepy goings on"?
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 21 October 16 16:01 BST (UK) »
in my tree I do have people who aren't blood relations.  I have started working on the siblings of my grandparents of each generation and I'm recording their marriages when I find them.  Since a lot of these marriages are in Scotland both sets of parents are listed on the certificates so I put them on the tree.  To me it is a way of specifying for example which John Smith Mary Jones married, secondly it helps me identify if siblings married siblings or first cousins, also with naming patterns knowing the names of the spouses parents helps my research by giving clues to the possible childrens' names (which obviously I would confirm by searching for certificates).  Generally, I won't research those parents any further.  Only once have I looked into a spouses family and that's because I was checking out a family story which I won't bore you with.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 22 October 16 00:12 BST (UK) »
Pharma,

I'm not a "name collector" but likewise, I do put the names of the parents of anyone marrying into my family, direct line or otherwise (for my own benefit).

However, when I do a "Report" print off of my ancestor (whether direct or not), all it shows is:

Annie Banannie married James Bloggs, 12th of never, son of Joe Bloggs & Fairy Soap  ;D

If I see someone is researching those "in-laws", I will contact them to say I have info. on their relative if they would like it & if they say yes then I send them what I have & have on a few occasions given folk info. which they didn't have.

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 22 October 16 01:51 BST (UK) »
I have been all through my tree to find a connection with this other tree and it draws a blank every time, I can only assume that I have not recorded a birth some where. The owner of the other tree is not very forth coming and all I know is that my 5x great grandfather is also their 5x great grandfather. My tree used to be public untill a year ago when I made it private as I found that so many people were copying.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 22 October 16 02:56 BST (UK) »
Hi SR,

Is the person not asking you questions as to how you are related?

That would seem odd in itself as I would be curious, unless they already have the info?

Do they know how you are connected yet?

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 22 October 16 04:12 BST (UK) »
They're not asking any thing, I'm the one doing the asking. All I know is they say our 5x great grandfathers are the same. I gave them access to my tree but they did'nt accept it so I withdrew it. All their same names as mine, and there are dozens of them, say "sources" but no records so I assume that they are just name collectors.

Hi SR,

Is the person not asking you questions as to how you are related?

That would seem odd in itself as I would be curious, unless they already have the info?

Do they know how you are connected yet?

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 22 October 16 04:19 BST (UK) »
Did you note how many people were on their tree?

I find it odd them not asking anything as that's what real genealogists do  ???

Annie

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 22 October 16 04:42 BST (UK) »
I can't see their tree, it's on Ancestry and private. They have my mother and father in their tree and my 5x great grandfather and dozens of names in between but they have'nt got me there. I also find it odd that they are not curious as to how we are connected.

Did you note how many people were on their tree?

I find it odd them not asking anything as that's what real genealogists do  ???

Annie

Offline phenolphthalein

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 22 October 16 05:54 BST (UK) »
 Despite spending 20 h of 24 asleep I went to town to do family history.

I gave up totally and packed up in tears when I found someone had put grandparents' wedding on ancestry along with 3 generations back -- each side. Its all there granddad's service, nana's dead sister etc. A stupid picture of a 1920's woman to represent nan.
I couldn't even determine which side they came from they had so much of both. they can not be related to both sides.
Dad was an only child. This is identity theft.

Dad's father died when dad was 13 in 1939. The tennis club paid for her house and dad had legacy for support and the only rellie's he knew were his uncle bill (actually his dad's cousin) and his mum's cousin Fairy (a second cousin I think) and Aunt Adelaide who had no children of her own.
Nan took in washing and boarders to make ends meet.

I know that they have not put this online. Whoever has hijacked both sides. Yet they didn't send a card when dad died or help in any way shape or form when he was little. and his mum struggling.

I hope they are proud of themselves and their family.

It is identity theft pure and simple. Half my family history online and gone -- stolen. No-one else is related to both sides. In a way it's fraud.
 If I can not own my own father's ancestors then they certainly can't.

I hope they are so, so proud of themselves. And athefttree goes bust.