Author Topic: Towyna Thomas  (Read 4618 times)

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Towyna Thomas
« on: Thursday 20 October 16 14:07 BST (UK) »
In my researches into the life of Edward Dolly, brother of the Dolly sisters, I ascertained that at one stage he was married to the British actress Towyna Thomas.  I am now trying to trace her birth that should have been registered but does not seem to be on FreeBMD.

Towyna Thomas, born 30 April 1908, appears to have been the daughter of performing artists, became an acrobatic dancer, then an actress, and died in Los Angeles USA on 25 July 1988.  She has a very brief acting biography (which contains no photos of her) and states her birth occurred in London.   I found confirmation of the birth at least in an edition of the theatrical publication The Era, London, England on 9 May 1908.  That stated :

Thomas.— On April 30 the wife of Towyn (Royal Welsh Singers). professionally known as Miss Sylvia Staurenghi (gave birth to a) fine daughter (Towyna). Both doing well.

Two years later, the 1911 UK Census shows 2 year old Towyna boarded out in Northumberland and there looks to be her father Towyn boarded out in the same area, perhaps with her.   But I am uncertain.

I am trying expand her history and that of her parents but have hit a stone wall on her father Towyn and mother Silvia.  Can anyone help?

Roy G
Post script.  I also have record of a Towyna Thomas who sung soprano in 1917.  There is no indication that this was just a 9 year old, so I have deduced there were two ladies of that rather unusual name.

Online MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Towyna Thomas
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 October 16 14:19 BST (UK) »
Maybe have another look at the 1911 census. Her parents seem to be with her.

Maureen

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 October 16 14:26 BST (UK) »
I was just going to say that too Maureen  ;D

https://familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=20&query=%2Bgivenname%3Atowyna~%20%2Bsurname%3Athomas~%20%2Bbirth_year%3A1908-1909~

Sadly her dad seems to have been mistranscribed as Tonya!
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 October 16 15:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks.  I only have the 1911 census index so knowing the names listed, their occupations, ages and birthplaces would certainly help.  Is there still a block on revealing 1911 info?

At the moment I am deducing they either married in 1904 or were yet to mary. Either way, there seems to be no record under the names they were working with.
Roy G

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 October 16 15:25 BST (UK) »
AS the terms of the 1911 census prevent us from giving you the information,I suggest that you either pay per view or use your local library where you should get Ancestry or Find My Past free of charge.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 October 16 15:33 BST (UK) »
Sorry Carol18353.  No library here in Budapest subscribes to those websites (Edward Dolly was a Hungarian)  In an effort to keep expenditure to a minimum, I suppose I'll just have to wing it and find the info another way.
Thanks anyway   Regards Roy G

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 20 October 16 15:49 BST (UK) »
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 20 October 16 15:51 BST (UK) »
A little snippet on her..

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ipv/
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Online MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 20 October 16 16:18 BST (UK) »
If you try FamilySearch for surname THOMAS and residence Newburn you should be able to pick them up. (minimal info,though).

I think her father may have died as William T THOMAS in Ramsgate in 1951.
A SAD PASSING Conductor of Ramsgalc Victory Male Voice Choir. Professor William Towyn Thomas has died, aged 81. He conducted his first choir in public at the Cardiff Empire, appear ing in the same bill as Harry..........
November 22, 1951 - The Stage - London, London, England

Just looking at a couple of Towyna's NY passenger arrivals-she lists her father as Mr T Thomas of Ramsgate on one and on the other she lists mother as S Thomas 29 Egerton Cres.. There's a Sylvia Agnes Thomas at that address on the electoral registers in 1930.

Tough bunch! :)

Maureen