Author Topic: Towyna Thomas  (Read 4600 times)

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
Re: Towyna Thomas
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 22 October 16 16:28 BST (UK) »
I have found Towyna on a ships list in June 1930 on her way to New York.
I suppose her passport would have said Towyna so she travelled as such.
Her home address is given as 29 Egerton Cres Kensington and her profession is given as an actress.
In the electoral rolls at that address in 1930 is a Sylvia Agnes Thomas.
Also there are a William Garrett and a Reginald Arthur Hignett (who may or may not prove useful!)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 22 October 16 18:40 BST (UK) »
John Staurenghi seems to have gone to Australia and married in Melbourne 1 Jan 1874 Adelaide Emma Goodhind

John Henry  Stavrenghi and Adelaide Emma Bridgemont Goodhind

His parents are given as Stivin Stauvrenghi and Anne Mathews ( They can be found in Glamorgan )

There are several children and he can be found in numerous newspaper reports as wanted for fraud . Search trove here : http://trove.nla.gov.au/

I doubt he married Agnes , but I suppose they may have married in South Afirca ?
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 23 October 16 11:15 BST (UK) »
 Re the other Towyna Thomas of 1917, she is usually shown as Towena. Her full name was Catherine (Kate) Towena Thomas. She was born in Tywyn, Merionethshire, on 21st November 1982 and was living in Widnes, Lancashire, in 1901. She was still a music teacher there in 1939.

It might be worth buying a copy of the marriage certificate of Towyn and Agnes in 1925, which should give her father's name, although no guarantee that it will be correct.

Only guessing, but did they go through a second ceremony because the first one, like Towyna's birth, was not registered? Still might be worth checking the parish register.

David

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 23 October 16 11:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks everybody for your extensive input on this.  To be honest, all I really wanted was a bit more confirming info about one of Edward Dolly's wives, and I seem to have got back far a more complex picture than I ever expected.  She and her family all appear to be interesting individuals with convoluted lives but I now feel it's best to jump ship, rather than dig any deeper.  I do hope you all understand.

Thanks again.
Regards Roy G 

Offline GregoryH

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 31 May 18 20:04 BST (UK) »
I was wondering about Towyna just this morning and was happy to see that she's remembered here.  I met her first by chance in Hollywood in 1981 at her home in the Ravenswood apartment building. The Ravenswood was bought by Mae West in 1932 and she lived there until her death in 1980. The two knew each other.  Towyna told me about Mae's seances, the Dolly Sisters, her acquaintance with the Talmadge sisters, and a variety of other stories from her own golden age.  In fact, she won a local "Glamorous Grannies" competition (I think that's what it was called) and she gave me an autographed picture of her with her sash.  I think I still have it somewhere.   Wonder where she's buried.  The posts I've read here tie in with the history she told me some 37 years ago.  Anyway, glad someone is thinking of her from time to time.  You're alive when someone thinks of you. 

Offline Menarue

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 31 July 21 14:59 BST (UK) »
I have been looking into the surname Stavringhi and found that a great-great aunt Adelaide Emma Goodhind was married to J.H. Stavringhi.  She seems to have been the widow of someone  called Bridgmont.  She was the sister of my great great grandfather Richard Goodhind.  I have wondered about this J.H.  and I heard that he had been  charged with fraud at one time and the person he defrauded was his brother-in-law, who was A.S. Robertson of Geelong, a wealthy grazier who was married to my gr.gr.aunt Alice Maud Goodhind.    My family has been perhaps understandably very tight lipped and I only started to look up this J.H. Stavringhi as I was puzzled by his surname and at first I thought it was an Italian name.  There was an even greater family scandal at this time involving another sister and so all this meant that I was kept very much in the dark.  Trove finds everything or most it seems.