Author Topic: Henry Dowling and immigration to Tasmania and Victoria in early 1840s  (Read 1262 times)

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Henry Dowling and immigration to Tasmania and Victoria in early 1840s
« on: Thursday 20 October 16 16:20 BST (UK) »

I am researching families who left Suffolk to settle in Tasmania and Victoria in the early 1840s. Many seem to have been influenced by Henry Dowling who had travelled to Tasmania with his father, Rev Henry Dowling (a Baptist Minister).
My personal interests lie with the Hilder family and the Challis family from Cockfield and surrounding area, as several of their family emigrated to Tasmania and Victoria. (Also possible links to the Snell/Eley thread, which is current).
However if anyone has any info about other families who emigrated to these parts as a result of Dowling’s endeavours I would be very happy to hear about it.

A part of what I know is:-   In 1839 Dowling proceeded to England, having received the appointment of Immigration Agent for Tasmania, in which capacity he was the means of introducing into the colony many settlers.
The ‘Launceston Examiner’ of 18 Sep 1885 as part of Henry Dowling’s obituary says… ‘Some of the best immigrants who came to Tasmania were selected by him, and we find amongst them the names of now well-known families in the north, such as Addison, Bramich, Saunders, Roe, Hutchins, Stone, Silver, Pickford, and others.’
Richard Hilder, (son of Thomas Hilder) of Emu Bay (Now Burnie) writes about his father:-
“The decision to immigrate was greatly influenced by a clergyman, Rev H. Dowling who pointed out the advantages to young men, of a free life in Van Dieman's Land, where "Free Settlers" and farm workers were badly needed in the Island Colony.
Four young men, Thomas Hilder, Charles Sparrow, James Ashman and William Meadows were so impressed by Rev Dowling, they decided to go to Van Dieman's Land as free labourers, and arranged in England a three year contract to Captain Whiting, whose estate was at Kelso Bay, River Tamar, Van Dieman's Land. The fixed yearly salaries for the four young men were £20 for the first year, £30 for the second, and £20 for the third. The salaries carried with them free passage from England, and board and lodging for the term of the contract. Thomas emigrated on The Indian, under Captain Carr which sailed from England two days before the Arab, on the 25th of November 1841, but arrived a few days later, on April 06.  The Indian was a brig of 276 tons.
“The Arab has brought out a large number of immigrants, chiefly agricultural labourers, selected in England by the friends of those colonists to whom the servants are indentured, and shipped under the superintendence of Mr. Dowling. There are 205 men, women, and children. Three children died on the passage, and five were born on board the Arab. In looking over the applications for a free passage sent to the Land and Emigration Commissioners, we were gratified to find that not one of the applicants had been in the receipt of parish relief. Their robust healthy appearance reflect great credit on those who selected and those who have had the care of them; and we have no doubt they will be found a valuable acquisition to the colony”.

Burt, Cockrill, Craske, Debenham, Double, Grimwade, Grimwood, Hilder, Mayhew, Ray. All from  West Suffolk around the Bury St. Edmunds area.
Simpson, Pittendreigh, Arthur.   Aberdeenshire

Offline mollipops1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Dowling and immigration to Tasmania and Victoria in early 1840s
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 October 16 04:31 BST (UK) »
Henry Dowling of Launceston is shown as the applicant for 3 pages of immigrants aboard 'Indian', which arrived 6 Apr 1842 from London.

This includes:
Chas SPARROW, 19 (d. 1899 aged 76)
Thos HILDER, 24 (d. 1894 aged 78)
Wm ASHMAN, 34 (d. 1888 aged 80)
Thos MEADOWS, 19 (d. 1875 aged 49) (n.b. definitely Thos not Wm)

All farm servants. Both Chas SPARROW and Wm ASHMAN also travelled to Melbourne in the 1850s but returned to Tasmania.

Chas married Selina WILKINS in 1851; she died in 1887 aged 51 and he remarried to widow Sarah Ann BROWN in 1888 - he was 61 and she was 48.

Thomas MEADOWS married at age 24 to Elizabeth WING in 1848; by this time he was a sheep farmer. However, his will show his wife as Margaret Louisa, and she remarried the year after his death to James BARNET/BURNET.

There were many others, mostly farm servants but also wheelwrights and carpenters.

Jas GODFREY, 23 (carpenter)
Chas SANDFORD, 23 (gardener)
Elias TAYLOR, 21 (wheelwright)
RJ PLUNKETT, 30 (wheelwright)

RJ was Richard James, died 1874 aged 64.

Elias married twice, both times to a slightly older woman. His first wife, Mary THORNTON, was a convict (m. 1843); 2nd marriage as widower in 1856. He died in 1881 aged 61.

This link should work - I hope:
https://stors.tas.gov.au/CB7-9-1-1

Go to pages 52-54 (those in your post are listed together on page 54).

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 October 16 17:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much mollipops. YOU ARE A STAR!! Yes I have been able to open the link. I will now have to see how many of the names on the list I can trace. I have a feeling that Dowling recruited large numbers of non-conformists ( Baptists, Methodists etc ) and many of their church records are missing or not available. Thomas Hilder also went to mainland Australia for a year or so, but returned to Taz.  Thomas Hilder, Charles Sparrow, James Ashman and William Meadows were so impressed by Rev Dowling that  they decided to go to Van Dieman's Land as free labourers, and arranged in England a three year contract to Captain Whiting, whose estate was at Kelso Bay, River Tamar.
Over five months after leaving England, the four men disembarked near George Town, on the Tamar River and were met by Captain Whiting, who after welcoming them, showed them around his estate. He explained what their duties would be and gave them a choice. Each man could take the10 pounds due to him and go where he pleased, or could keep to the three year contract signed in England.
Our four young men decided that due to the uncertainty of employment for free single men, with the unsettled state of the colony, and with the bushrangers operating in many areas, they would keep their signed agreements and so commenced their individual careers in Van Dieman's Land.
However Captain Whiting had to give up all business in Van Dieman's Land, and returned to England broken in health and spirit, his home, his orchard, and his Kelso Bay estate fell into the hands of others, and the four young Englishmen had to shift for themselves which they accordingly commenced to do.”
Burt, Cockrill, Craske, Debenham, Double, Grimwade, Grimwood, Hilder, Mayhew, Ray. All from  West Suffolk around the Bury St. Edmunds area.
Simpson, Pittendreigh, Arthur.   Aberdeenshire

Offline chrissiecruiser

• RootsChat Senior
  • Dora Berg (12/5/1893-8/10/1916)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 25 October 16 03:12 BST (UK) »
Hello hookleg,

I was just looking through the recent posts and saw your query.  I don't know if this may help at all, but my distant cousin whom i met through researching my tree has both Dowlings and Snells listed.

She has a "Beard Family Tree" on Ancestry if you are a subscriber....Pam Ferguson. (hope i can say her name???)

As far as i can tell her earliest Snell is Robert Snell c.1730-1783 from Bruisyard, Suffolk.

Christopher Dowling 1835-?, unknown place of birth.   His Dowling grandson, George Edward Dowling (South Australia) married Myrtle Daisy Bay Beard, hence the tree name as our relatives came from that unification.

Everything one turns up is interesting, don't you think?

Cheers,
Chris      ;D
Berg - Uppsala, Sweden
Bissett - Scotland
Butler - Yorkshire
Butt - Dorset
Butterworth - Yorkshire
Cave - Somerset
Darby - Somerset
Grierson - Scotland
Kruger/Krueger - Prussia, Germany
Lecher - Cottbus, Brandenburg, Germany
Levick - Nottinghamshire, UK
Molde - Schleswig-Holstein, Denmark/Germany
Oram - Wiltshire & Somerset, UK
Randell - Devon, UK
Savren - Dorset, UK
Weilbach - Denmark & South Africa
Williams - Cornwall, UK

Offline JoHilderNZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 02:41 BST (UK) »
Hi there

I am a descendant of Thomas Hilder and his son Richard.  I saw your posts wondering if the story about Thomas coming from Suffolk was wrong - I too had wondered about that as I could find no evidence of his birth there.  Did you ever find a record of his birth in Sussex?

Richard Hilder was not always reliable - his story that Thomas arrived in Tasmania in 1841 on the Arab was a bit off - actually 1842 on the Indian...

Grateful to have any info as I'm trying to put together a book of family history by the end of the year so would like to have as much evidence as possible.

Many thank,
Jo Hilder