Author Topic: Rev. John Graham, Rotha Street Greenock  (Read 3020 times)

Online orkrad

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rev. John Graham, Rotha Street Greenock
« Reply #9 on: Monday 31 October 16 21:03 GMT (UK) »
 Sorry I may have set you all off on wild goose chases. Here is the reference i found.  The website was -------Ministers S – ecclegenecclegen.com/ministers-s/
His daughter, Jane Sandison, married Alexander Yule, a Free Church ..... (4) Elspeth Scrymgeour born about 1903 in St Helier, Jersey, Channel Isles, and died about 1930. ..... As well as her father, her grand-father William Spence was a minister (see ...... She married John Graham on 21st November, 1917, in Dennistoun,
I didn't follow this up  and perhaps wrongly assumed that the Elspeth mentioned had married a John Graham.

It's great to see so many people helping out with this query.  I wonder  if  anyone local remembers this church or the Manse in Ratho Street  Greenock  Regards Orkrad.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 31 October 16 21:13 GMT (UK) »
I've looked at the entry in ecclegen but I don't see ....

. As well as her father, her grand-father William Spence was a minister (see ...... She married John Graham on 21st November, 1917, in Dennistoun,

...under the Scrymgeour entry - and there's no William Spence listed. Could you give the page/surname ref where you found this ref to John Graham, please.

Gadget

Added - now found - it refers to a John Smith's daughter  - see my next post.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline purlin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 31 October 16 21:16 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks orkrad,  the info did seem a bit confusing but we managed to work it out. Gadget has found the death cert. for John Graham. He died in 1960 at Bridge of Allan. aged 71 yrs. He was listed as single. His mother was a Sarah McMillan and father Dugold Graham.

On a newspaper article Gadget found it suggests he had sisters and brothers. One brother Archibald died at an early age.
Crosbie, Crosby, Black, Woods, Johnstone, Kelly, Howatt, McMillan, Wauchope Scott, Smith, Gibbons, Roberts, Hildred, Jones, Hughes. Curran, Palmer. Hughes, Jones, Wilcox, wilbraham, owen
Liverpool, Dumfriesshire, Kirkudbrightshire, Cheshire, Flintshire, llanrwst, trefriw, Lincolnshire, America, Canada, New Zealand.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 31 October 16 21:17 GMT (UK) »
Ah found it by doing a find in ecclegen- I think you're referring to a Maggie Smith*. We checked that and the John Graham was an electrician.

Gadget

* in ecclegen she is the daughter of Rev John Smith.

Added - this refers to orkrad's find
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline elaine447

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 31 October 16 22:50 GMT (UK) »
I remember the church building but I am not sure when it was demolished,
I also remember looking for pictures for someone else on here and not finding any but remember
finding that Crawfurdsburn church and Cartsdyke church merged with each other in 1981, also found that the church was built in 1865 and was later extended in 1872, I will see if I can find a link to this info
Elaine
Given,McCorkindale,Kennaway.Wylie,Cameron,Mooney,McCloskey,Black,
McCafferty,Gillespie,Jamieson,Keith,Adam,Quigley,Ainslie,
McHugh,Malone,Fisher,Burns,Gallacher,Nelson,Dunleavy,Brannan,
Docherty,McCluskey,Fitzpatrick,Barclay,Steele,King,Allison

Offline elaine447

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 31 October 16 22:59 GMT (UK) »
sorry I cant get a link for it but if you google, when did Crawfurdsburn church and Cartsdyke church merge it will show up as a newspaper index,pdf, all the buildings on the site now are all industrial units.
Elaine
Given,McCorkindale,Kennaway.Wylie,Cameron,Mooney,McCloskey,Black,
McCafferty,Gillespie,Jamieson,Keith,Adam,Quigley,Ainslie,
McHugh,Malone,Fisher,Burns,Gallacher,Nelson,Dunleavy,Brannan,
Docherty,McCluskey,Fitzpatrick,Barclay,Steele,King,Allison

Offline purlin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 01 November 16 09:50 GMT (UK) »
Thank you elaine, after reading your post i searched on google maps. as you say the area is now quite clearly industrial units, with i think just one house on the corner at the top of the hill.  Signs of the time i guess.
Crosbie, Crosby, Black, Woods, Johnstone, Kelly, Howatt, McMillan, Wauchope Scott, Smith, Gibbons, Roberts, Hildred, Jones, Hughes. Curran, Palmer. Hughes, Jones, Wilcox, wilbraham, owen
Liverpool, Dumfriesshire, Kirkudbrightshire, Cheshire, Flintshire, llanrwst, trefriw, Lincolnshire, America, Canada, New Zealand.