Author Topic: Parsonage Green, Royden, Diss Norfolk  (Read 5301 times)

Offline bugbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Parsonage Green, Royden, Diss Norfolk
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 22 November 16 14:31 GMT (UK) »
It looks like your Susanna (b 1789) was married off pretty quick (mar 1811) after her mother (also Susannah, Woollage) died in sep 1809.

Hmm. Leaving William a Widower. Is this the same William who married Sarah Fox in Mendlesham, 1812?

BugBear
BICE Middlesex
WOMACK Norfolk/Suffolk

Offline wendy47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Wonderful Mother & Father
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 22 November 16 16:11 GMT (UK) »
Yes, it seems that there is a connection somewhere and Mendlesham isn't that far from Diss.

More research is needed I think. Plenty of Kitchens about.

I believe William bapt 1788 is the brother of my Susannah and he married Rhoda Smith. They are in the census although he died in 1851 I think and is buried in Royden.

Regards Wendy47
VEAL, PRICE, STURGE, HOLDER, BELLET, DREW, TAYLOR, HALES/GOUGH, PRICE, COOK, BURNELL, HOLBIN, MERRY, GUNNING, WOOD, STOCK, GULLOCK, GWILLYM Som/Glos
COTTERELL, NAPPER, NASH, FLEETWOOD, HANDLEY, COLLINS, MEREDITH, HODGES, MESSIDER, SMALLRIDGE, BACHE, ELLSMORE Hfs
NASH, TYLER Warks, Kent
ADMONS Berks
CROWE, REYNOLDS, Suff
KITCHEN Nlk
Abram C[H]ARLSON Sweden/Ldn
COX, WAYLAND, LINE Wilts
STILES, DORTON, GOFFE, BLY Ldn
OSMOND Hants
All UK census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov

Offline bugbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 22 November 16 17:10 GMT (UK) »
Yes, it seems that there is a connection somewhere and Mendlesham isn't that far from Diss.

More research is needed I think. Plenty of Kitchens about.

I believe William bapt 1788 is the brother of my Susannah and he married Rhoda Smith. They are in the census although he died in 1851 I think and is buried in Royden.

I don't think that can be right.

This burial record (from FreeReg):

County    NFK
Place    Roydon (Diss)
Church name    St Remigius
Register type    Parish Register
Register entry number    232
Burial date    31 Jan 1840
Person age    52
Burial person forename    William
Burial person surname    KITCHEN
Burial person abode    Parsonage Green
Relationship    Son of
Male relative forename    William
Female relative forename    Susanna
Relative surname    WALLIS
Witness    
Witness    
Register note    Father Wm is "late

Gives a birth date of 1840-52=1788, and is a dead ringer for this baptism (which sadly doesn't have a given name):

County    NFK
Place    Diss
Church name    St Mary
Register type    
Baptism date    13 Apr 1788
Birth date    12 Apr 1788
Person forename    *
Person sex    M
Father forename    William
Father surname    KITCHEN
Mother forename    Susan
Mother surname    WALLIS
Witness    
Witness    
Register note    Private baptism

(my sketch "Kitchen" database has rather too many "William Kitchen", and records for them; some of them will be the same person, and I can merge, but I'm not sure which yet)

BugBear
BICE Middlesex
WOMACK Norfolk/Suffolk

Offline bugbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 23 November 16 12:11 GMT (UK) »
I stared at the (mainly) FreeReg data for so long, I decided to put it into tree form!

BugBear
BICE Middlesex
WOMACK Norfolk/Suffolk

Offline wendy47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 23 November 16 18:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bugbear

Well, you've been very busy. Thank you so much for sorting out the tree. It allows me to get a grip on the links.

I missed out a generation of Williams ie the son of William and Susan Wallis when I mentioned the the marriage to Rhoda Smith as it was William the Grandson.

I hadn't gone into the detail of descendants as I was looking for confirmation of William and Susan Wallis' [Woollage??] marriage, which I haven't discovered yet. I do like to confirm my findings and as the image of the bapt of their daughter Susan's mother's name isn't too clear I am scrabbling about but I'm not hopeful of discovering it.

I have the Diss church baptism images of

'William Son of William Kitchen and late Susan Wallis spinster was born April 12 1788 and was duly baptised April 13 1788. Taxed.'

Susannah D of William Kitchen and Wife Susannah late Susannah Woollage, Woollase?? spinster was born Oct 10 1789 and privately Baptised 26 October 1789. Taxed.

Regards Wendy47
VEAL, PRICE, STURGE, HOLDER, BELLET, DREW, TAYLOR, HALES/GOUGH, PRICE, COOK, BURNELL, HOLBIN, MERRY, GUNNING, WOOD, STOCK, GULLOCK, GWILLYM Som/Glos
COTTERELL, NAPPER, NASH, FLEETWOOD, HANDLEY, COLLINS, MEREDITH, HODGES, MESSIDER, SMALLRIDGE, BACHE, ELLSMORE Hfs
NASH, TYLER Warks, Kent
ADMONS Berks
CROWE, REYNOLDS, Suff
KITCHEN Nlk
COX, WAYLAND, LINE Wilts
OSMOND Hants

Offline bugbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 24 November 16 09:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bugbear

Well, you've been very busy. Thank you so much for sorting out the tree. It allows me to get a grip on the links.

I missed out a generation of Williams ie the son of William and Susan Wallis when I mentioned the the marriage to Rhoda Smith as it was William the Grandson.

I hadn't gone into the detail of descendants as I was looking for confirmation of William and Susan Wallis' [Woollage??] marriage, which I haven't discovered yet. I do like to confirm my findings and as the image of the bapt of their daughter Susan's mother's name isn't too clear I am scrabbling about but I'm not hopeful of discovering it.

I have the Diss church baptism images of

'William Son of William Kitchen and late Susan Wallis spinster was born April 12 1788 and was duly baptised April 13 1788. Taxed.'

Susannah D of William Kitchen and Wife Susannah late Susannah Woollage, Woollase?? spinster was born Oct 10 1789 and privately Baptised 26 October 1789. Taxed.

Regards Wendy47

I have yet to find that wedding. I am also missing Sarah Fox/Kitchen's death.

William and Susannah's baptisms are not easy to read (attached) - in fact I deduced that the 1788 baptism was William from the date, back calculated from his burial details (which include his parents' names!!).

One difficulty in my interpretation of the records is that I have William b1788 buried in 1840, and his father, William b1755 buried in 1841.

But the details for the 1840 burial list his father as "late".

BugBear
BICE Middlesex
WOMACK Norfolk/Suffolk

Offline wendy47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 24 November 16 12:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi

It is a bit of a conundrum to say the least. This is typical of my ancestors. All Johns, Williams and Marys. I must make a trip to the churchyard. If there is a headstone it may give some details.  ???
The registers are rather faint and I tried darkening them - not very good though

There is a death in Parsonage Green of a Thomas Kitchen aged 15 in 1839 son of William Kitchen and Sarah late Fox. They were married in Mendlesham, Suffolk

There is a William Kitchen in Mendlesham b 1766 d 1843 m to Sarah Hadley [see Ancestry trees].

Freereg has a Thomas Fox Wallis bap 1780 s of Thomas Fox Vincent and Elizabeth in Mendlesham

1791 LMA has an Insurance for a Mortgage between William Kitchen Mortgagor, Yeoman of Roydon and Rhoda Heath Mortgagee.

Still no wiser.

Regards Wendy 47
NASH, TYLER Warks, Kent
ADMONS Berks
CROWE, REYNOLDS, Suff
KITCHEN Nlk
COX, WAYLAND, LINE Wilts
OSMOND Hants

Offline bugbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 24 November 16 13:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi

It is a bit of a conundrum to say the least. This is typical of my ancestors. All Johns, Williams and Marys. I must make a trip to the churchyard. If there is a headstone it may give some details.  ???
The registers are rather faint and I tried darkening them - not very good though

There is a death in Parsonage Green of a Thomas Kitchen aged 15 in 1839 son of William Kitchen and Sarah late Fox. They were married in Mendlesham, Suffolk

There is a William Kitchen in Mendlesham b 1766 d 1843 m to Sarah Hadley [see Ancestry trees].

Freereg has a Thomas Fox Wallis bap 1780 s of Thomas Fox Vincent and Elizabeth in Mendlesham

1791 LMA has an Insurance for a Mortgage between William Kitchen Mortgagor, Yeoman of Roydon and Rhoda Heath Mortgagee.

Still no wiser.

Regards Wendy 47

Ah the "Fox Vincents" are (I think...) Sarah Fox's people, so the web becomes more complex.

But you may have found "the connection"

BugBear
BICE Middlesex
WOMACK Norfolk/Suffolk

Offline bugbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 24 November 16 14:33 GMT (UK) »

Or scroll to the right in MY tree!! (and in the blue box on this new tree)

I do NOT like where the two "Wallis" females (Susannah and Elizabeth) are headed. If they're siblings (and it looks like they might be) the Sarah Fox/William Kitchen marriage is first cousin.

BugBear
BICE Middlesex
WOMACK Norfolk/Suffolk